Factory Talk View Studio SE Station

ToddNemisz

Hello I hope someone can help with this...

We use our HMI to store a bunch of parameters and dimensions for our systems.
Trouble is if we update our code and download we lose all that data. Is there a way to store that data so after we do the update we can easily restore without having to manually enter it all again? Its very time consuming to do that.

Thanks in advance!!

Upload first before changing logic. Or change it online. Or just copy over the routine. Better yet is not to store parameters in the controller.

We build brewing systems which are fully automated and our code is same for each system however all tank dimensions vary and need to be inputted through the HMI for volume calcs. We are always updating to our code and in order to update all clients systems I would like a way to save those values without having to upload each clients program.

Rockwell does have a utility that will save tag values to a text file. It uses opc to do that. You need a licensed version of linx.

If you have enough room, you could store an array of all your clients’ parameters, then just use an index to push the correct set to the HMI files. I like the OPC option, I use Excel with a licensed version of RSLinx to read and write data from the controllers. Rockwell has some sample code for OPC read/write in SE studio, it can be easily tweaked to work in Excel.

Thanks for the prior answers

Is there a way to export tags from the panelview to an exel file then be able to import it back to the HMI?

You can definitely send tags to Excel, but the easiest method would be to back them up in an array (or UDT) on a PLC. You can store them all there and push them back to the HMI with a single button.

Based on what you described, I'd recommend storing data on the PLC only. It's very easy to build routines which will store a backup and allow the user to restore the values as needed. As others have mentioned, you can use the recipe manager, but I've written my own code for those & don't believe that you've mentioned recipes specifically for what you're doing?

Thank you Vlad our PLC memory is quite tapped in order to use an array or UDT in the plc.
I would like to use excel and make it easy for our client to store them back. Is recipe manager the easiest way to do that? I am just green with this type of operation.

Thank you Vlad our PLC memory is quite tapped in order to use an array or UDT in the plc.
I would like to use excel and make it easy for our client to store them back. Is recipe manager the easiest way to do that? I am just green with this type of operation.

To be honest, I was thinking that the PLC would still service the data to Excel if you were going that route. You can import PLC-based data into Excel through RSLinx OPC link. However, this may still work for HMI terminals the exact same way.

Here's an excellent resource I'd encourage you to follow on this topic: https://theautomationblog.com/getting-allen-bradley-plc-and-pac-data-into-excel-using-rslinx/

Lastly, I'm not sure if you have a Rockwell support contract in place, but they generally walk you through something like this.

Hope that helps,
Vlad