RSLogix/RSLinx comms

Sltech88

Hi
I have been asked by a customer to back up the code on a micrologix 1500 plc. Last time I used my RSLogix software was around 15 years ago!
Anyway, the setup is a standard 3 node network with micrologix connected thru its 8 pin din connector to a 1761-net-aic. The aic has a connector at the top going out to a panel view . The connector at the bottom of the aic is a serial rs232 port ready to receive (according to the Rockwell literature) a 1747-CP3 cable which will plug directly into my laptop, which has a real com port ! rs232 9 pin. So it all connects physically, here comes the problem, I am running windows 7 pro (32bit) but have seen somewhere that windows 7 didn't really like talking thru the com 1 9 pin serial port, perhaps somebody could confirm or deny this? So I have my activation in place and checked with factory talk activation. I am using RSLogix 500 9.05.01 along with RSLinx classic 4.10.
So I have tried starting the RSLinx software and adding the driver RS232 DF1 devices and then again with the DH485 UIC devices, but both times I am not getting any node pick up on RSlinx, the only thing happening is that the TX and RX lights on the aic are going solid instead of flashing , so something is happening, but not what I want to happen. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks:confused::confused:

Any chance that your 1500 is a LRP processor? there are two 1500 CPU's a LSP and LRP, the LRP has a second port on the left side, if yours is a LSP then yes you need to use the CP3 cable and use the AIC+

In RSLinx select the DF1 driver change the COM port number to match yours (COM1?) and click auto configure.... is that what you did? did it time out?

I would recommend connecting to the PLC directly without the use of the 1761-net-aic module. The ML 1500 PLC has an RS232 output into which you can land your cable and upload the program through the DB9 input on your laptop. Everything else you've described seems to be spot on.

Welcome to the PLCTalk Forum community !

The network you describe is a common 3-node Data Highway 485 (DH485) protocol network.

The best way to connect directly to such a network is to use a 1747-UIC device, which converts to DH485 protocol. You cannot run the DH485 protocol over a general-purpose serial port in Windows Vista/7/8/10.

Another alternative is to use the Default Comms feature (a button on the MicroLogix controller) to temporarily override the network settings and configure the Channel 0 (round mini-DIN8) port for DF1 Full Duplex. That protocol does run effectively on general-purpose serial ports.

The Comms Override button only affects Channel 0. If Channel 1 (the DB9 port on the left side of the 1764-LRP controllers) is set up for DF1 Full Duplex, then you should be able to use it to connect to and upload/download programs from the controller.

The best way to connect directly to such a network is to use a 1747-UIC device, which converts to DH485 protocol. You cannot run the DH485 protocol over a general-purpose serial port in Windows Vista/7/8/10.

I have not used many AIC's, as a matter of fact... none, but why would they need a UIC? the user manual shows a CP3

AIC.png

It's probably not Win 7 & com port, I have a Dell win7 pro & legacy port this communicates to any RS232 including AB, Mitsubishi, Omron etc. I tried the UIC & found it a little trying (like a lot of Rockwell stuff). To be honest I have a win 10 system as well & use a cheap USB to 232 & only had one problem due to the converter cable requiring power from the 232 port, although some converters seem to work.

That diagram is more than 20 years old; what it doesn't show is that the PC is running the RSLinx Classic "1747-PIC/AIC+" driver for DH-485 protocol.

That driver is not supported in any operating system newer than Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP3 with a specific patch).

While the world is a huge and complicated place, I am confident that no general-purpose USB/Serial converter (or any operating system newer than Windows XP SP2) works reliably with the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver.

The DF1 Full Duplex driver is asynchronous and reliable with virtually all serial port devices. But the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver required hardware timing that Windows NT and later operating systems simply don't allow.

Back to the initial problem:

Use the DF1 Full Duplex driver with the MicroLogix 1500 Channel 1 (DB9) port, or with the Channel 0 (Round mini-DIN) with the DCOMM feature toggled on.

response to all

Hi All

Sorry I haven't responded, been offline for a day or two. Thanks for all your responses, I will study them over the weekend and get back to you all regarding any progress and hopefully solutions!

Thanks again

Steve

Hi Guys

Thanks again for all your responses. So in answer to some of the questions.

I have tried the DF1 driver and selected the correct com port and tried auto config, but it just times out.

The micro 1500 is LSP so there is no extra 232 port on the side (shame!).

Most of you seem to confirm my fears that windows 7 and the 232 port are probably no go, so it looks like the best solution will be to disconnect the AIC and go straight on using the 8 pin port on the micro1500. Now this is something I haven't done before so please excuse my ignorance, don't want to F*** anything up!

Presumably I am ok to disconnect the aic at the micrologix port, and when I do the aic and smart view will be unaffected afterwards, when I reconnect?

Then I would need to get a different cable with rs232 and 8 pin mini din to connect the PC?

Then configure the driver in Linx to DF1 protocol?

Then, and this is the grey bit, something to do with the button and the Dcomm feature? Please could you explain this procedure for me?

Then after I have hopefully transferred the code I plug everything back in, but is there any reconfigurations required for the MR 1500 com port?

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for the reference to the chapter 4 stuff, but I have already looked at this and it "recommends" using the aic when connecting pc, I suppose using it as an opt isolator protects the plc in some way?
The only way it shows connecting directly is with the extra 232 port on the LRP version which our does not have.
Can someone confirm if it is ok (and safe) to connect directly to the plc using the 8 pin mini din without the aic in line. Also it looks like you can press the Dcomm button the plc to default it to channel 0 connection protocol and I should be able to plug the pc into it and connect, but when I go back to plugging the aic in, do I just press the Dcomm button again to put it back as it was?

Thanks

Can someone confirm if it is ok (and safe) to connect directly to the plc using the 8 pin mini din without the aic in line. Also it looks like you can press the Dcomm button the plc to default it to channel 0 connection protocol and I should be able to plug the pc into it and connect, but when I go back to plugging the aic in, do I just press the Dcomm button again to put it back as it was?

Safe? well anything can happen... but that said yes I have done it in the past and did not have any issues, do you have a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable? that was the cable I used and push the button once you are done you can push the button again and the comms will go back to the AIC settings

The only issue with this is you lose comms to the HMI so your program will not run correctly if you are trying to troubleshoot the system

Safe? well anything can happen... but that said yes I have done it in the past and did not have any issues, do you have a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable? that was the cable I used and push the button once you are done you can push the button again and the comms will go back to the AIC settings

The only issue with this is you lose comms to the HMI so your program will not run correctly if you are trying to troubleshoot the system

Hehe, absolutely agree anything can happen. At least if you have done it this way, then I have some faith that it could/should work. I will get hold of the cable for friday and have a go. Watch this space!!
And thanks for the help.

DCOMM always works

Connect your PC (built-in or USB serial port) to the 1764-LSP Channel 0 serial port with a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable.

Press the DCOMM button on the MicroLogix until the DCOMM LED indicator comes on. This sets Channel 0 for the default 19200 baud 8/N/1 framing and DF1 Full Duplex protocol, temporarily overriding the user configuration.

Configure just one serial driver in RSLinx Classic: DF1 Full Duplex.

If Autoconfigure doesn't work, then set the driver for the standard MicroLogix settings: 19200 baud, 8/N/1 framing, CRC error checking.

When you're done using RSLogix to upload the program, press the DCOMM button again until the DCOMM LED indicator turns of. This removes the default override and returns the Channel 0 port to the user configuration.

Thanks Ken

As the HMI does obviously control the machine, I need to wait until they give me some time without production, so I can unplug it and plug in the laptop. Thanks for the simple instructions, I love simple!!
Thanks again, I will update this post as soon as I have done it.

Cheers