FactoryTalk View Studio - ME/SE Alarms

keshik

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have a fair amount of different ME projects that we occasionally have to bring into a SE project. Is there a good way to bring the alarms over without having to spend a lot of time reworking them? Is there a better way to structure them in ME to make it easier?

Thanks.

I like to trigger it by value rather than bits.
Reduce the hassle of mapping the amount of bit tags.
______

We have a fair amount of different ME projects that we occasionally have to bring into a SE project. Is there a good way to bring the alarms over without having to spend a lot of time reworking them? Is there a better way to structure them in ME to make it easier?

Thanks.
No, there is no easy way to bring them into SE.
The alarm systems are so very different; SE is threshold based alarms and ME is trigger (exact value) based alarms.

To make it easiest, be sure to only use HMI digital tags for your alarm triggers.
Do not use an analog trigger, with multiple values. Do not use expressions.
Neither of those are easy to bring into SE.

The HMI alarms in SE are tag based, and all their configuration is in the HMI tag database (that excludes the other alarming system in SE; FT Alarms and Events). The one benefit of the SE alarms is that you can use the Tag Import/Export tool to export the SE HMI tag alarms to CSV. That can make edits for import a lot quicker.

These would be the steps that I would use:
1)Export the ME tags to *.csv file. Export the alarms to *.xml file.
2)Import the tags *.csv into your SE project
3)Create a couple HMI alarms in your SE project (as an example template for the csv file)
4)Export the SE alarms and tags to CSV.

At this point you can either try to use the alarms.xml file in Excel (it's not easy to learn how to use xml files in Excel).
Or, you can open the Alarm Editor in ME and just copy paste all the alarm message rows into Excel. Then manually format into the SE alarms.csv file.

That's it. That's the way to do it.