PV 600 Plus - ****pit Trouble

glaw

must just be having one of those bad days. I would greatly appreciate if someone could post a step by step instrucion on how to configure your pc to communicate thru RSView Studio to a PVP600. I am trying to communicate from my pc using a 2711-NC13 cable to a 2711P-T6C5D. Maybe i have the wrong cable.

-In the communication setup tree in the RSView Studio (version 3.20.00 (CPR6)) applciation I added a driver for Serial DF1 to the Local Tab. (It's my understanding is the Target Tab is only for PVP to Processor and I haven't even made it that far yet) I assumed when I added this driver it would browse for a device. I tried adding a device jsut for kicks but it seemed to make no difference. i expected it to act like linx just picking up active nodes. i also restarted the computer a couple times after configuring just in case it somehow helped.

In the General Tab I have:

Description = Serial-DF1
COM Port = 4 (the port on my pc that I plan to use to commuicate with the pvp from my pc) I verified the port is communicating by connecting to a microlox 1000. could see the 1000 without any issue
Device = Slc or Micro Logix
Station Number = 0
Auto-configuration Box = Checked

In the Link Tab I have:

Baud = 19200
Stop Bits = 1
Parity = None
Error Check = CRC
Ack/Poll Timeou (msec) = 3000
Max Retries = 3

On the PV600+ in the Terminal Settings/Networks and Communications/RSLinx Enterprise Communications I left Virtual Backplane and Ethernet to thier default settings and set Serial DF1 driver to the following.

Use Auto-Config = Yes
Device = Slc or MicroLogix
Error Check = CRC
Parity = None
Baud = 19200
Stop Bits = None
Ack/Poll Timeout (msec) = 3000
Max Retries = 3
Station Number = 0
COM Port = 1 (my understanding this is just set for the port the pvp uses to communicate with the plc. i tried changing this to com 4 and it made no difference)

I have gone round and round with this thing all day. can't imagine I can't accomplis this simple task. This has got to just be some ****it trouble on my behalf. any help from out there would be a help

COM Port = 4 (the port on my pc that I plan to use to commuicate with the pvp from my pc)

YOU can not decide on a PORT, it must be the PORT designated to your PC's serial port....try using COM 1 or 2, whichever the modem is not setup to use.

It is possible to assign COM 4 to your serial port but by default it will not use that address.

I am using a usb to serial adapter. COM 4 is what my pc assigned to it. I thought it was wierd too. but tested it connecting to a micrologix using linx. connected and successfully donloaded to the micrologix.

From my limited experience, I've found that RSLinx enterprise will pick up connected devices, but not if regular RSLinx is running.

I'm strongly biased against RSView Studio / RSLinx enterprise for reasons that include your very problem.
Perhaps PhilipW will log in and explain how "simple" and wonderful it is.

Is there another option for downloading a file into a PVP600? Someone mentioned to me earlier that if linx was running it would cause probelms. I shut it down but it starts up each time i start my computer then i shut it down. Is this a problem? is there a way to make linx not start with your pc?

Check out General Information document G45350891 in the RA knowledgebase; Gerry's right about Linx and LinxNG not playing nicely together.

Well gee whiz Gerry it's not so hard.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could post a step by step instrucion on how to configure your pc to communicate thru RSView Studio to a PVP600. I am trying to communicate from my pc using a 2711-NC13 cable to a 2711P-T6C5D. Maybe i have the wrong cable.
From this I am going to assume that it is a file transfer to the PV+ that is being attempted.

The path you are defining in the Local tab is the path from your PC to the PLC processor. This is used by Studio to do live online "Test Runs" of the application. It is not the download path.

The transfer of the application to the PV+ is done using the "File Transfer Utility". Rather than use the serial port which is rather slow, just use the built-in Ethernet port. Use the config tools in the terminal to allocate the Ethernet port an IP address on the same subnet as your PC port, hook the two together using either a cross-over cable or a small switch, and RSLinx Enterprise should browse to it just fine.

glaw said:
is there a way to make linx not start with your pc?
Yes. I just can't remember exactly how it's done without a PC in front of me.

I think it goes like this - Click on the windows START button and navigate to the RSLinx item. Click on that. One of the selections that comes up allows you to configure Linx as a service (I think that's the terminology). When set properly, Linx will start only when invoked by another program.

PhilipW said:
Rather than use the serial port which is rather slow, just use the built-in Ethernet port.

Hello Phillip. This PVP does not have an ethernet port. Wish it did I think my life would be much easier right now...

I completed the steps in G45350891 with no success. Is it really this difficult to set up DF1 communications with a PVP600? If I don't start the linx server do I have to do G45350891, I don't need to run them side by side to tranfer the .mer file to the PVP do I? Has anyone accomplished this with the DF1

Did both for you and have the same result. I have two laptops here one us using usb to serial (COM4) the other I am using the normal COM1. Both pc's have the error in the comments section at the bottom of the RSView Studio Screen of:

Image (Red Circle with white X) - DF1: Failed to open COM1:. COM port may be used by another application.

For the pc I am using COM4 i get the same message but fill in COM4.

Phillip i am curious to see your results if you do this on your pc. not sure if you need any of this, Both of my pcs have the following rs sofware

RSView Studio 3.20.00 (CPR 6)
RSLogix 500 6.30.00 (CPR 6)
RSLogix 5 6.30.00 (CPR 6)
RsLinx 2.43.00 (CPR 6)
RSView ME

If your succesful It would me much appreciated if you posed a step by step. Seems like several folks are having this same problem.

jerry

RSlinx enterprise does not XP sp2.. There is a Knolage base artical on it somewhere..I dont have my lap top here tonight so i cant send it over to you..I talked to tech support on this issue once and i stopped my DF1 driver..deleted it and set up a new one and all was good for a while..If you have SP2 the other thing you could do is diable the firewall it might help..

Do a knolage search on Xp SP2 and it should pop up..

Good luck

sheds half the light the pc I am using the USB to serial is running XP SP2, the other is running 2000 professional 5.00.2195 SP 4

I also have tried deleting the DF1 driver on studio and linx do no avail. also uninstalled then reinstalled both to clear out any junk that may have been lingering in the backround

Last edited:
knowledge,

knowledge,

knowledge

See i do know how to spell it!!
As far as i know there are no issues with windows 2k..i would check out the tech support document and see what happens..
Is this a PV or PV+