Help with Cutler Hammer D100A PLC (Toshiba EX40)

Last week I also found the thread

Old Toshiba PLC’s

but the links to file sets are now dead.

I did find them by searching the file names.
I have attached these files, V3-2067 is split due to the size.

Reading now this describes using different versions to work around not having keys.
The 1st file is for the CH D100 or Toshiba EX20/40 series. The other files (V2 and V3) are for the EX100 and EX250/500 series for the Toshiba. I don't remember the cross-over CH equivalent, but I believe it was D200.

Last edited:
Update:-

I have just tried the EX20_40 on an XP PC in folder c:\EX20_40 and get

<005> key inactive

In the D100.zip fileset there is not a .bat file.

Running D100.EXE does not instantly produce an error.

This is just on the PC stand-alone, I don't have the PLC here to connect to.
Certain keys will be inactive for any given menu, especially if you are offline. On some occasions, the Shift Key will need to be pressed and held down 1st. A PDD software manual would be a big help. Also, if you press an F key or the wrong key too many times the same error will appear. It is much easier to work with this software with a plc connected. That is not to say it can't be done, just easier.
I attached a d10.bat file in another post.

Last edited:
Certain keys will be inactive for any given menu, especially if you are offline. On some occasions, the Shift Key will need to be pressed and held down 1st. A PDD software manual would be a big help. Also, if you press a key too many times the same error will appear. It is much easier to work with this software with a plc connected. That is not to say it can't be done, just easier.
I attached a d10.bat file in another post.

Thanks for the D10.bat file and your comments on the software version applications. I'm sure they will help others in the future too.

In all I found and downloaded last week there were manuals but without looking again possibly not for the most appropriate software versions.

Part of the issue is nobody is familiar with this PLC or software.
Another company who are defunct chose this PLC, wrote the software and installed it.

Here are a few more tips. The Software may crash at any time. It never was completely bug free. A message will pop up saying unexpected system error, hit any key to continue and it keeps popping up no matter which key you hit or how many times. About the easiest way to recover from that is to hold down the Alt. key and then hit Enter. Next close the window like any windows program.
By the way, you have not yet posted exactly what you are trying to do or change. I can help you with that also as I have extensive experience with this old software/plc. I am going to send you a Private Message, please check the upper right side of the forum page to access them.

Last edited:
I see that this is a pretty old posting however we just came into an issue on our Air Compressor, its down )-:
We have a D100CR20 and I need software and a cable to upload the program so I can convert it.
I followed a few of the links and sent an email to Toshiba as no luck searching there site. DOS anything so hard to come by anymore.

See post #46 for the software. You will need to create a batch file to run it easier. Just download this file, extract it and place it in the d100 folder you made from the D100.zip download from post #46. I sent you a PM for info on the interface and cables. You can also build the cables and interface with info in this thread. Please read the whole thread as it was a work in progress development thread. If you need info on a programming manual, please advise and I will PM you a working link for a Toshiba manual that is as close that is available in .pdf.

Last edited:
Hello,

where I can find a simple guide on how to use Cutler-Hammer D100PG10A programmer? I believe it's identical to Toshiba's EX2040PRGD.
The program itself will be quite simple (no fancy stuff like jumps, counters, etc.): external on/off switches, indicator lights, and three relays + aux. relays and three timers.

Hello,

where I can find a simple guide on how to use Cutler-Hammer D100PG10A programmer? I believe it's identical to Toshiba's EX2040PRGD.
The program itself will be quite simple (no fancy stuff like jumps, counters, etc.): external on/off switches, indicator lights, and three relays + aux. relays and three timers.
See the manual in this link:
http://www.overcomer.me/gtprototype/plc/toshiba_ex100/manuals/EX20_40%20Plus%20Manual_506.pdf

Look beginning at Section 3, page II-5 for the programmer. I would suggest downloading and reading the entire manual.

If you need more help, let me know. I will be very glad to help. I learned PLC programming with this back in the '90s. I have software and an interface for this as well as spare units. It does however require an older computer with a real RS232 port though.

BTW, posts 46, 47, and 66 have the software. Also, if you decide to build an interface, I can point you to links to do that.

Last edited:
Here is my another question. I work with some legacy ladder diagram. It has auxiliary internal relays R0-R7 and R10, R11, R13-R15. But I also see some PLC contacts labeled R20-R26.
What's that: these contacts are shown for something optional, which is not on this diagram?
Or there is some programming option to use R contacts without using the associated aux. relays? The diagram is complete, legit, and [not sure of these R20-R26] was used for machinery.

Here is my another question. I work with some legacy ladder diagram. It has auxiliary internal relays R0-R7 and R10, R11, R13-R15. But I also see some PLC contacts labeled R20-R26.
What's that: these contacts are shown for something optional, which is not on this diagram?
Or there is some programming option to use R contacts without using the associated aux. relays? The diagram is complete, legit, and [not sure of these R20-R26] was used for machinery.
The short answer is that that it will still work. Editting was difficult with the Hand Held Programmer so any shortcut method was used. Going on very old memory here, the longer answer is that there was no Always On or Always Off instruction. Higher numbered addresses would be used such as you indicated R20-R26.
All networks (rungs) required at least one set of contacts and one coil to exist. Broken rungs were allowed but would not function, they would just be skipped.
Ther are some Special Relays for certain functions, but if I recall correctly, they were numbered something like R166 or close. I would have to look them up in the manual.
If this is confusing just remember that software was still in the developing stage and did not have all the bells and whistles of todays software.
If that didn't help you understand what was going on, please zip and attach the files (there may be up to 3 for a project) and I will take a look. If you only have it in printed form, scan them or convert them to .pdf 1st. Attach them to a post.

If this is Cutler-Hammer D100 or Toshiba EX, you can use a handheld programmer. No need for software or key. There were several threads on this site about these PLCs, including software links, you may want to check if you have all files for your PLC.

How can i use the software without master key? because it always show INVALID KEY

please help
What is the exact type of software? I believe that some EX-PDD software could require a key but there is software available on this site that does not require a key.
See post #46,47, and 48 in this thread for software.

Last edited: