My PLC trainer....construction pics

jdmartin8

My PLC trainer.... first pic

It's mounted on plexiglass, and the wiring is not complete, but I think you get the idea. There is merely for learning when away from the office, and yes, I still have to mount two more lamps.

Jim

plc.jpg

Last edited:
randylud said:
...although you may be missing an opportunity here by discounting the TL thing as Rube mentioned.

He's got one (actually 2). You just have to tilt your head to the left!... :D

[attachment]

Looking good, Jim. Be sure to keep us updated on the progress!... (y)

beerchug

-Eric

tl.jpg

I'm working on building one at home as well. An AD DL-06 in my old PC case. Current plans are to use it as the worlds most expensive timer for my fish tank lights :p

I'll try and get a picture up tonight. I'd like to get it working by this Saturday since I'm going on a cruise for a week and dont want my parents to have to worry about it while I'm gone.

And when Jim gets REALLY good at programming, he can use the blue light for "Left Turn Only" ;)

Looks like a great setup for learning.

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I not concerned with duplicating the dubious old traffic light, but one thing I will be simulating is the green/amber/red stacklights that are used on our systems. I'm going to layout the lamps a little different, so if you see something that resembles a traffic light, IT AIN'T !!

Thanks again..... wiring will start tonight

Jim

Greetings, Jim (from a fellow Hoosier!)

Your picture makes me want to build something like that myself. It would be a fun way to try out different gizmos and new programming ideas. What would be cool would be to add a small linear actuator of some kind, and some limit switches. (Maybe even a small motor and encoder, if it suits your inputs.) Nice work!

Paula

[Small suggestion for future reference: Consider keeping related posts in one thread, instead of beginning a new one -- it just makes for better continuity as others follow your progress. Not a big deal, though.]

Thanks for the compliments and comments, Paula. I'm located a few miles south of Fort Wayne. Are you in the northern half of the state, or the southern? Just curious...

Suggestions about future posts is understood, and I will try to follow.

Careful this weekend.... If you're up north, major, major winter storm arriving !!

Jim

jdmartin8 said:
Careful this weekend.... If you're up north, major, major winter storm arriving !!

Yikes! You better stay inside
Yikes.gif

I'm in the southeastern part of the state (about 45 minutes from Cincinnati), and I don't think we're supposed to get too much over the weekend, but who knows. We got a healthy dose of snow from that storm that hit right before Christmas -- 24.5" total! -- but fortunately it didn't stay around long. Keep yourself warm, Jim!

Paula

Additional pics.... mounting base

Here's how I decided to mount the trainer. I wanted something that would be at the right angle when sitting on my desk, so I went with a 45 degree angle, and it's just about perfect.

Now to get the wiring finished ..... more pics to follow

Jim

plc 001.jpg