View Single Post
Old August 8th, 2017, 06:34 PM   #24
SandwichMagic
United States

Not that I really have a foot to stand on in regards to experience (I am quite young for this field), but I think that truly one of the most important things to understand in regards to programming is the overall process, the end goal. I always make a list of inputs and outputs before I do ANY programming, as this allows me to understand exactly what I'm working with. When one has a grasp of the tools they are working with, they can start working on the actual project. Someone mentioned working backwards from the output and that is a really great way to approach programming most of the time. I feel like with an eye for process any engineer should be fine transitioning, it's just pretty daunting at the start, like myself transitioning into chemical engineering.

While this isn't a part of your question, I will mention that many of the process engineers that I work with have their degrees in Chemical Engineering. I work in Food and Beverage in the Central Valley of California, which is a huge market for food and beverage manufacturing (we have the worlds largest single site winery and the worlds largest single site cheese plant, one of which I currently work for). If you were willing to come out to the desert between the mountains, that is.

Conor

"It's the smartest people who are the first to realize that there is always more to learn"

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is a difference." - Dahnuguy

If you see something wrong in my post, feel free to let me know I'm wrong, no hard feelings, I promise!