money making idea

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
I feel i could rewrite some of these engineering manuals and sell the re writes.

Reading engineering manuals and passing on the pertinent has kind of been my thing.

With the internet here you could probably sell the first one, then within 2 days there would be PDF and e-book copies on many sites, even an audiobook after a week.

Then the person that bought the one copy would try and say it wasn't what he wanted and want his money back.

With the internet here you could probably sell the first one, then within 2 days there would be PDF and e-book copies on many sites, even an audiobook after a week.

Then the person that bought the one copy would try and say it wasn't what he wanted and want his money back.

what stopping me? what he said, and laziness.

I'm not all that, but even 15 years ago i knew you had to reset the EU bit of the Lifo.

You and thousands of others, it's only the people who can't be bothered to read the help on the instruction who had "issues"...

My fear would be once it becomes successful, what company is going to try to accuse you of copying copyrighted material, or a DMCA, etc.

If you seriously want to pursue that, say for the most common A-B or Siemens manuals at least, I'd suggest contacting a publisher like Wiley. http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/ I found them easy to work with and they handle all the promotion and protection BS. You get a royalty check twice a year, no problems.

If you just did a straight grammatical fix you might have copyright issues. If you actually do a re-write, reorganize, and add things like examples there shouldn't be a problem. Again, a good editor would help you with that.

The computer world is full of guides that explain various apps or languages.

The whole "Dummies" line of books is aimed at better explanations.

Go for it.

What you should do is talk to small companies and do technical writing to clean up or even make manuals that are useful.

Although, I like manuals that say, "Pushbutton is to be pushed to activate/deactivate pushbutton."

I have found that with most instrumentation manuals....once you have figured out how to program the instrument.....THEN the manual makes sense.
Sort of backwards to me..

I have found that with most instrumentation manuals....once you have figured out how to program the instrument.....THEN the manual makes sense.
Sort of backwards to me..

Agreed.

I find that manuals tend to either be written by people who are trying to hide how little they know about the topic, or by people who know so much they have forgotten what it felt like to start at level 0.