Total novice micro logic 1400 help

shilo1123

Hi I’ve got a door and window switch from RS (190-1011) with a 4 core cabl - red, white, green, and yellow . The red and white are the switch and there is a circuit through the green and yellow cables . There is no circuit between the two pairs . Is it possible for me to connect this to a micrologix 1400 and see the I/o displayed on the screen of the PLC? If so how do I do this please ?
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thank you

Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

Please provide the full catalog number for the MicroLogix 1400 controller. It should be on the sticker on the side -

Example: 1766-L32BXB SER B FW 11

Regards,
George

Yes, if you apply the correct voltage to the correct terminals you can view the I/O status on the LED display.

1766-l32bxb (crystal ball is working well)

This diagram shows the basic wiring required to supply and switch your contact signal into Input 0 (IN0). I've shown the Power Supply and colours of your contact cable cores...

ML1400%20-%20Basic%20Input%20Wiring%20%28SINK%29.bmp

Is there a wiring diagram with the contact? RS only have a basic datasheet with no mention of the cores and what they should do.
Be careful with the unused cores as they may have voltage potential that you may be unaware of after you apply voltage to the switching contact.

G.

Last edited:
A great guess haha , I’ve got another power supply what sort of voltage would I use ? I’m also in the processs of Downloading the RS logixlight version as well

shilo1123 said:
...what sort of voltage would I use ?...

It's written on the drawing. Can you see it? Does it make sense to you?
What power supply is currently supplying the controller, if any?

I was in fear of this...

By "RS logixlight version" I assume you are currently downloading the free version of RSLogix Micro Starter Lite?
This edition will only program the MicroLogix 1000 and 1100 controllers.
You would require RSLogix Micro Starter minimum to program any of the following controllers: MicroLogix 1000, 1100, 1200, 1400, 1500.
This edition is not free.

Routeco is a popular Allen Bradley/Rockwell Automation distributer in the UK.

Here's a list price from them for RSLogix Micro Starter...

https://www.routeco.com/shop/software/logic/9324-rlm0100enm?KW=RSLogix Micro Starter

G.

Last edited:
I have a 24dc power supply connected to the + 24 vdc and vdc neutral currently . Ah okay I won’t bother with that software then . The little amount of PLC experience I have is from using GX developer and mitsubishi plc’s in college a couple of years ago so this is new to me .
Thank you for your help so far

RSLinx Classic Lite is just the communications software used to establish driver based communications with AB equipment.
It does not include programming software.

Again, you will require RSLogix Micro Starter minimum to program the MicroLogix 1400 controller.

See above link.

G.

shilo1123 said:
Ahh okay then but will the other method you showed work then if I power across com1 and in0?

What do you mean by "com1"?
Do you mean terminal DC COM 1?
If so, then no, the Common for IN0, IN1, IN2, IN3 is DC COM 0, not 1

DC COM 1 is the Common for IN4, IN5, IN6, IN7
DC COM 2 is the Common for IN8, IN9, IN10, IN11

...and so on. Each DC COM terminal supplies a separate group of inputs.
Each DC COM terminal is isolated form the other DC COM terminals.
You must supply, or loop to each DC COM terminal if you wish to use that group of inputs.
If only using IN0 then you only need to wire - 24 VDC to DC COM 0.
That is the negative wire of a 24 VDC Power Supply.

The reason the DC COM terminals are isolated is to facilitate supplying different groups of inputs from different power supplies.

You only need concern yourself with the wiring outside the Red box, which I intentionally put there so as not to confuse you.
Please ignore all other wiring inside that box. That is, unless you have any specific questions related to it in a general learning capacity.

EDIT1: Ah, I see you have since spotted your own error!

EDIT2: What I have outlined will allow you to switch the contact and see the input indicator for IN0 go "on" and "off". That is all. At this point I will ask the begging question...

What is it you hope to achieve here? If the controller currently has no program, or no useful program loaded, then switching this input signal will most likely serve no meaningful purpose? You either have to program something into the controller to do whatever it is you want (usually also involves using at least 1 output) or is there already something there that is programmed to do something when input 0 is active? I gave you this input as an example, you didn't specify which input you have to use?

G.

Last edited: