Help picking out controller

Rice Guy

I am new to the game & first time making a post. I am starting my first job using the Control Logix platform (1756) & looking for advice on which controller/processor would be best without over spending for unnecessary speed or features. This will be a basic program with simple input & out digital ac modules for pulling in starters on approximately 25 480v motors.

If it's as simple as you say, you won't need a ControlLogix- that's overkill.

A CompactLogix should get it done, as mentioned above. Specifically the cheapest model of the new 5069 series, the 5069-L306ER. It can handle 8 local I/O modules and 16 remote nodes. You can use the standard 5069 I/O to keep it simple.

If you're stuck with using a ControlLogix for some reason, I would recommend the newest, cheapest processor, the 1756-L81E.

You might look into the Micro820 and Micro830. They're still made by AB and are far more cost effective than ControlLogix.

If you're not tied to AB I always suggest Horner. They are far more reasonable on price, and the software and communication is a dream to work with compared to AB products. If you try to connect it with an AB VFD by ethernet you may run into trouble, but RS485 works great. Since you said you are using starters I don't see that being an issue for you, though.

Allen Bradley has a program called Integrated Architecture Builder that has selection wizards available. As mentioned, control logix sounds overkill unless its a requirement from the customer. A benefit of IAB is that you can tweak your selection of I/O to see how it effects the theoretical price, and it gives reminders of items you may forget to add (the number of times I've forgotten to put end caps on an order.... oi vey).

I wouldn't put too much faith in IAB's wizards... last year the wizard spit out an invalid configuration for me, and my distributor didn't catch it either. Cost me lots of time and money to redesign.

In case they haven't fixed the bug yet, the invalid configuration it spit out was using Compact I/O in a DLR with redundant ControlLogix... they never got their 1769-AENTR modules working with this. IAB correctly flagged it when manually putting these components together, but not when going through the wizard.

Micro800 and MicroLogix are not part of the ControlLogix platform.
If you go for either of these, be sure that it is OK with your new company.
If they said "must be ControlLogix" then that they may actually mean ControlLogix, not CompactLogix and certainly not Micro800 or MicroLogix.
CompactLogix is arguably in the same family as ControlLogix, so maybe they are OK with that.

If you must use Control Logix go for the cheapest one as it will be more than you need anyway.

I you do not have to use Control Logix go for the CompactLogx for example this one 5370 L1

If your budget is really small go for Micro830 / 850

Ml1100

The micrologix 1100 has a lot of features and you can download the software free. It's a nice starting point as it has ethernet and the io can be expanded at a reasonable cost.