Can't get Ethernet Global Data to work with my RX3i

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys,

I"m at the point in my project with RX3i controllers that I need to get comms working between two PLCs via EGD, and it's been an almighty pain trying to get this to work. At this point I've reduced the EGD down to a single INT going one way, and even that isn't working.

I've triple checked my Produced vs Consumed IDs, checked the EGD Properties and Config settings...nothing seems to seem out of place, but nothing seems to be working.

Wondering if there are any troubleshooting methods y'all might suggest. I can provide the project file if that would be helpful.

There have been several forum threads on the subject. Search using EGD as the keyword.
This thread
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=112687
is probably the most detailed and includes discussion about the required status words in the EGD exchanges.
I'm about to sign off for the night and I won't be available tomorrow during the day, but go ahead and post your project file. Tell us what version of Proficy Machine Edition also.

There have been several forum threads on the subject. Search using EGD as the keyword.

Hi Steve, I do try to make an effort to search the forums for relevant info before posting but didn't come across the link you provided, strange.

This thread
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=112687
is probably the most detailed and includes discussion about the required status words in the EGD exchanges.

I read through the posts and the Status words thing has me wondering...I downloaded the OP's original screenshots and noticed my Produced and Consumed Exchanges were set up exactly as his were, which are messing the Status words you mention. What's odd is that I consulted my lab manual from the four day Proficy course I took, and we got things working *without* said Status words. Not sure why it would have worked in the lab but not in the real world.

I'm about to sign off for the night and I won't be available tomorrow during the day, but go ahead and post your project file. Tell us what version of Proficy Machine Edition also.

Let me try adding the Status words before I post the project file, it seems like that's what helped the OP in the link you provided and it'll likely (hopefully) be what gets me running. If not, I'll post a dropbox link. Oh and for reference I'm Running PME 8.6.

Thanks for the help Steve, I'll report back what I find.

Hi Steve,

Found an interesting link that is official GE literature and specifically says that only one word of status data is needed, and it shows a screenshot. See page 9-13:

http://geplc.com/downloads/Labs/GFS-384 M09 EGD.pdf

Not sure why this contradicts the manual you mentioned from the Versamax, and again not sure why my lab manual doesn't have the Status data mentioned. Pretty confused at this point!

Leave your consumed exchange in the CCCSD PLC as is. In the produced exchange in the CCWTP PLC, delete the two words at address %R08000.
The first two words in a consumed exchange are status words generated by the producer and are in addition to the amount of data you are trying to send from the producer to the consumer.
In your case you're trying to send six bytes of data from the producer to the consumer, one WORD (two bytes) and one REAL (four bytes). The setup for the producer should include only those six bytes. BUT, the setup for the consumer needs to take into account the additional two words (four bytes) of status information generated by the producer. You've done that in your setup of the consumed exchange in CCCSD. Your mistake was in thinking you had to add those two words of status data to the produced exchange.

Leave your consumed exchange in the CCCSD PLC as is. In the produced exchange in the CCWTP PLC, delete the two words at address %R08000.
The first two words in a consumed exchange are status words generated by the producer and are in addition to the amount of data you are trying to send from the producer to the consumer.
In your case you're trying to send six bytes of data from the producer to the consumer, one WORD (two bytes) and one REAL (four bytes). The setup for the producer should include only those six bytes. BUT, the setup for the consumer needs to take into account the additional two words (four bytes) of status information generated by the producer. You've done that in your setup of the consumed exchange in CCCSD. Your mistake was in thinking you had to add those two words of status data to the produced exchange.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for checking in. I've tried what you've suggested, but still cannot get the comms to work. I've updated my dropbox file if you wouldn't mind taking a look; I think I did what you suggested but maybe I'm still off somewhere?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cy0lexwl84j1ndb/CCCSD_BLOCK_III.zip?dl=0

I'm afraid I may have steered you in the wrong direction.
I have a few examples of projects with known successful EGD exchanges. The ones requiring the two extra words were only for exchanges between a PLC and a VersaMax Ethernet NIU. The one example I have of PLC to PLC EGD exchanges don't require any additional words.
At this point, my suggestion is for you to revert to your original configuration and then look at the sixteen status bits and try to interpret the values.
By that I mean %I0249 - %I00264 in the CCCSD Rx3i and the bits in %R07900 in the CCWTP Rx3i.
You can find an explanation of the status word data for both the producer and the consumer here.
https://ge-ip.force.com/communities/en_US/Article/EGD-Exchange-Status-Word-Error-Codes

I'm afraid I may have steered you in the wrong direction.
I have a few examples of projects with known successful EGD exchanges. The ones requiring the two extra words were only for exchanges between a PLC and a VersaMax Ethernet NIU. The one example I have of PLC to PLC EGD exchanges don't require any additional words.
At this point, my suggestion is for you to revert to your original configuration and then look at the sixteen status bits and try to interpret the values.
By that I mean %I0249 - %I00264 in the CCCSD Rx3i and the bits in %R07900 in the CCWTP Rx3i.
You can find an explanation of the status word data for both the producer and the consumer here.
https://ge-ip.force.com/communities/en_US/Article/EGD-Exchange-Status-Word-Error-Codes

Ah ok, thanks for letting me know Steve.

This may be a long shot, but at this point I'm leaving no stone unturned. Is there any chance that the EGD could be affected by going through a fiber link? The remote PLC is connected to the system through single mode fiber (with switches/fiber converters at each end). I would assume it's not an issue since I can plug my PC into either end and talk to both PLCs, as can the HMI...but just to ask, could EGD be affected by this?

Gfk - 2224t

So I just came across an interesting bit of info. In a manual called GFK-2224T (PACSystems* RX7i, RX3i and RSTi - EP TCP/IP Ethernet Communications User Manual) I was reading up on setting up EGD and was looking through the EGD parameters. On page 80 of the manual I noticed that the produced exchange parameter "Send Type" is noted as Always (apparently Class 1 EGD runs without logic needed to operate), but it says something very interesting:

Send Type: Fixed at “always.” In the PLC, production of EGD is controlled by the I/O state: when enabled, EGD production is enabled, and when disabled, EGD production is disabled.

Am I interpreting this correctly???? That EGD doesn’t work when my controllers are running but I/O is disabled? I’ve been running my controllers with outputs disabled for the sake of safety during testing because I didn’t want anything to go haywire by accident.

That sure sounds like a smoking gun.

Just got to the plant and tested it. Sure enough, if my outputs are energized EGD works like a charm. What is incredible is that my rep didn't know about this, you experienced users didn't know about this, and it isn't mentioned in the InfoViewer. I eventually found it in that manual I linked to, if you go further down (section 5.6) it has a table that spells it out. Can't imagine why this would be a desired function. I guess I just have to chalk it up to experience points.

How difficult would it be for you to just disconnect power to the outputs so you could safely enable I/O?

In this case, I'm not sure. My outputs don't have disconnect switches and if I kill power to the cards then I get faults. At this point I'm ready to test so I'm just going to move forward but man, what a PITA.

I can recall many similar instances of an obscure setting (obscure to me anyway) causing wasted hours during commissioning or testing. Not limited to GE either, although they had their share.
I once had to add an additional discrete input module to a VersaMax I/O drop. Should have been simple, just increase the size of the %I entry to the EGD setup. Nope, I had to enter a new line after the analog inputs because the new module was to the right of the analog module in the lineup.
Tried to use the Modbus block included in the S7-1200 instruction set using addressed tags. Nope, had to use symbolics.

I can recall many similar instances of an obscure setting (obscure to me anyway) causing wasted hours during commissioning or testing. Not limited to GE either, although they had their share.

Yeah it definitely seems to be something that is just part of the SCADA integrator job. Once you learn it you'll never forget, but it takes some banging your head against the wall to get there!