Studio5k hotkeys

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, would anyone know if there is a list of Studio5k Hotkeys floating around somewhere? For example, selecting a tag and hot key to cross references, things to expedite the game of hide and go seek. I checked AB KB and found nothing. Thank you.

You’ve probably already seen this, but the drop-down menus have the hot key combination for available commands. I don’t think I’ve seen a compiled list.

I've never found a list, here are some of my favorites:

CTRL+E = Cross-reference. Works on more than just tags
CTRL+R = New run in ladder window
CTRL+D = Edit description in ladder window
ATL+TAB = Switch windows (say between ladder and tag window if you have them both open)
CTRL+W = New tag window

Latest one I learned: CTRL+PageUP/PageDown switches between routines that are open (if you have multiple routines open).

I wish there was a hotkey for extend branch down or add a branch on a rung. Maybe there is and I just haven't found it yet...

I've never found a list, here are some of my favorites:

CTRL+E = Cross-reference. Works on more than just tags
CTRL+R = New run in ladder window
CTRL+D = Edit description in ladder window
ATL+TAB = Switch windows (say between ladder and tag window if you have them both open)
CTRL+W = New tag window

Latest one I learned: CTRL+PageUP/PageDown switches between routines that are open (if you have multiple routines open).

I wish there was a hotkey for extend branch down or add a branch on a rung. Maybe there is and I just haven't found it yet...

Just a quick correction: ALT+TAB switches between open applications, as in from RSLogix to e.g. Microsoft Word.

CTRL+TAB switches between windows (between ladder and tag window)

I think what you are looking for is the Quick Key
in Logix Studio Designer with a project open
Menu bar select tools
in pull down menu select options
In the menus select Ladder Editor
Enable Quick Key
from there you can create your own key configuration
once you open it yo will see what you need to do

Just a quick correction: ALT+TAB switches between open applications, as in from RSLogix to e.g. Microsoft Word.

CTRL+TAB switches between windows (between ladder and tag window)

Correct as always. I was attempting to reply without the stuff actually in front of me. Thanks for the correction.

if you press the "Insert" key on your keyboard, then down-arrow once, you get "Branch".

if you press the "Insert" key, then down-arrow twice, you get "Branch Level"

admittedly not a single key, but I think a little quicker than navigating to the instruction toolbar, especially if you don't have the "favourites" in view.

Last edited:
I wish there was one for cross reference finding.
For example, do a control F, and select whatever bit you want to find, once on it (highlighted in the logic) be able to maybe F3 across all the contacts and then F2 to go directly to the coil.
I love this in other software.
Going back to the cross reference drop drives me crazy especially when I always feel like the cross references change order everytime I go back to it.

I wish there was one for cross reference finding.
For example, do a control F, and select whatever bit you want to find, once on it (highlighted in the logic) be able to maybe F3 across all the contacts and then F2 to go directly to the coil.
I love this in other software.
The "F2 to go directly to the coil" might not be quite as simple as that - e.g. what if you have multiple OTL and OTU's, and what if there are other instructions modifying that bit as part of a whole-word operation? There are even legitimate reasons to have multiple OTE coils in a Logix processor (though admittedly, very very few good ones). So that's likely why they don't have that as an option. If you open up the cross reference, you can see immediately at a glance anywhere that your tag is manipulated in any way.

Going back to the cross reference drop drives me crazy especially when I always feel like the cross references change order everytime I go back to it.
Cross reference can change order every time you go back to it, depending on how it's configured and how you access it.

If you right-click>Cross Reference or use the Ctrl+E shortcut to get to it every time, then it will re-generate each time. When it re-generates, it will sort itself according to how you have it configure to sort. If you have it configured to sort by location, then it will re-order because it will start the search from where you called the cross reference, looping back around to the start if necessary.

To avoid this, call the cross reference once, and then use Ctrl+Tab to switch back and forth between the XRef and logic windows. Or, sort the XRef results by another column that won't be affected by where you call the XRef from

ASF,
I figured the cross reference generation was being manipulated by how I was accessing it, like you said. I just didn't know how to fix it.
Thanks.

One of the most useful features of the Cross Reference window is the column called "Destructive". By sorting on that column you can get all the "Y" entries at the top, and these are all the references that can change the state or value of the target tag. Generally speaking, those are the ones you are most interested in.