Anybus gateway 7072 / RSlogix 5000

BrettN

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to communicate to HMS Anybus gateway module 7072-B, via RSLogix 5000 V20. I have followed application note 'Anybus Communicator EtherNet/IP with Rockwell Studio 5000', located here:

https://www.anybus.com/support/file-doc-downloads/communicator-specific/?orderCode=Ab7072

When I add the module (using the eds file) and try to change the IO data size in module definition, i am not able to save the configuration changes by clicking on the okay button which appears to do nothing. Therefore I can not modify the default settings which are: SINT, 16 bits input and 16 bits output.

Has anyone come across this before or a similar situation?

I've also tried to set the anybus up as generic ethernet module but am receiving comms faults when I do this. The application note mentions that RSLogix 5000 V20 should use the .eds file.

Thanks in advance,
Brett

Welcome to the site!

Which fault do you get when you set it up as Generic? Make sure the Data Type is "Data-SINT" when doing this. I've had a couple of modules change to "Data-INT" while I wasn't looking in the past. Also make sure the configuration on the Anybus end matches the sizes on the PLC end.

I just made a project in v20.03 with an L32E, added the EDS, and the sizes changed fine. Try adding the EDS again. Which version and which PLC are you using?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Jeev.

When I set it up as a generic module the error is connection time out. I can ping the ABC gateway fine. I don't have the subnetwork (Modbus RTU device)connected at this point but imagine that I should be able to get a stable connection to the module without the subnetwork attached?

I will check that it is setup as a Data SINT and double check the IO sizes, I am pretty sure it all matches.

Hi Jeev,

I am using RSLogix5000 v20.00.00, RSlinx Classic Lite 3.60.00, the PLC is an ABCLX 1756-L63. I unregistered the old eds and re-registered a fresh eds file downloaded from the support site linked above. I am still having the same issue with not being able to change the IO sizes. Strange that yours is working and mine isn't. Thanks for testing it out and your welcome to the site!

Yes, I'm offline when making the module definition changes. I've tried the eds file with a different version of RSlogix , still no luck with being able to change the IO sizes from the default!

Have you tried starting a new project (Same version and hardware), and adding the AnyBus gateway in that? There may be an issue with the project file itself.

I'm using these Anybus communicators for years, and configured them as follows:
I configured a "Generic Ethernet Module" with the following settings:
Comm Format: Data - SINT
Input Assembly Instance 100 Size 128 ( in my case ) Match this to your Anybus config
Output Assembly Instance 150 Size 40 ( In my case ) Match this to your Anybus config
Configuration Assembly Instance 1 Size 0

Never touched the Anybus EDS file...

I'm pretty sure that you have to configure the data registers in the Anybus so it matches the configuration in the PLC.
If you doesn't match these files, you will receive all kind of connection error's.

Last edited:
Hey Jeev, Yes, I tried that no luck with the .eds unfortunately.

Hi Nightline - thanks, I did manage to get an AB 7007 working with a generic ethernet module and similar settings to what you described (just different IO size).

Now I need to get the AB 7072B two port model working. The idea was to use the working configuration file from the AB7007 and modify the field bus type to 'Ethernet/IP & Modbus TCP port 2'. I would have thought this would work, but it didn't. I am not sure what other parameters need to be changed.

Hi all, just following up on this one. So I got the anybus gateway working in the end. The issue was the ENBT module in the ControlLogix PLC. I used a newer ethernet module - EN2T and the AB7072 communicated fine.

Thanks for your replies - great forum this is.

Hello,

There is a bug in Rockwells software after 20.03 (up to 25.xx I believe) where you couldn't change the I/O size.

You may also be able to update the firmware in the older ENBT module to get it running.

You only need to change the Fieldbus interface in the configuration to the 2-port version to get the exact same configuration running with the AB7072.

Best Regards,
Kristoffer
HMS Technical Support

OK, I am trying to get Logix version 19 to communicate with Anybus AB7072-B module. Logix is not recognizing the module at all. I'm using a ENBT ethernet module flashed to the latest firmware 6.06.
I've attached screen shots of the configuration in Logix.

General.PNG Connection.PNG ModInfo.PNG

Have you talked to Anybus support? They will help if you show you are already trying to program it. just send them your config file and tell them your issue...