2 panelviews on same controller

jeff s

Hello, can 2 panelviews with the same program in them, operate on the same controller?. Just curios about you thoughts and tips on doing this.

The user program can be the same on 2 panelviews on the same network BUT each panelview requires a seperate node address for communications so this automatically says that there is a difference between programs on each panelview, that little item of communications address.

Let us know the part number of your panelview, or panelviews, and the brand, and type, of controller, you may find there is a solution available for your situation that is not complex.

Absolutely-I'm commissioning a pair now. There can be issues if you are controlling logic by PanelView screen status or PanelView screen changes with the PLC. In that case each PanelView needs to have its own unique control/status words. So other than each PanelView's node/I.P address uniqueness, that Gil47 mentions, control/status words would be the other thing to consider.

I think is not going to be a problem i got an aplication where a panel view 550 is connected to a compact logix 1769-L32E thru the serial port and at the same time i got a panel view plus 700 conected to the same PLC thru a ethernet switch.

Thanks for you input on this,I will gather more info as to what model of panel view and processor.again thanks for letting me know it can be done with out much trouble.

If you are using alarms and reset them from Panelview, Don't forget to use remote alarm ack features in case. Just make a bit in PLC detecting ack from Panelview and use it as a remote ack bit in both units. Othervise, ones you reset an alarm from first PVl, it will be still remains in second one.

The processor is an slc5/04 with a 5" quickpanel junior connected to the rs 232 port. for the additional quickpanel should i get the AB DH+ interface card for the quickpanel and go that route or is there better options??

jeff s said:
The processor is an slc5/04 with a 5" quickpanel junior connected to the rs 232 port. for the additional quickpanel should i get the AB DH+ interface card for the quickpanel and go that route or is there better options??
Think, or learn, about how these communications work and you can answer that question. RS232 is one device to another device, so this port is currently used with the 5" QP. The only other way to communicate with the PLC is to use the DH+ which can go to multiple devices. Make sure all addresses are unique of course.
I think you can change the 232 port on the 5/04 to a DH485 but I don't recommend that since you have a 232 QP. I think you pay a premium for DH485 (if available) and DH+ with the QP.