Looking for a simple 4- 20 ma

Pablox

Looking for a simple "controller" that fits in a standard 3.77 x 3.77 (96 x 96) cut out.

We have many different controllers here which will do the job, but they are expensive, total overkill and usually have small two line displays.

What I am looking for is a unit which has only one display line, gives me a 0 - 100% display, has an "UP" arrow and a "DOWN" arrow.

At 0% it outputs 4 Ma and at 100% it outputs 20 Ma

Thats it no need for inputs, pid etc. etc.
It's just basically a digital display "4 -20 ma potentiometer" with up/down rather than rotary movement.

Does such a unit exist, anybody ?

You mean something like an analog transducer, in order to input a setpoint, or something like that. And there must be no other confusing buttons or displays.

I dont know if something like that exists.
If not, then maybe do it the other way around.
Simple pushbuttons with inputs to the PLC. The buttons increments or decrements a value in the PLC.
Then add an analog output from the PLC, and use that to drive a simple 7-segment display with analog input. There are plenty of such displays and they cost almost nothing.

Looking for a simple "controller" that fits in a standard 3.77 x 3.77 (96 x 96) cut out.

We have many different controllers here which will do the job, but they are expensive, total overkill and usually have small two line displays.

What I am looking for is a unit which has only one display line, gives me a 0 - 100% display, has an "UP" arrow and a "DOWN" arrow.

At 0% it outputs 4 Ma and at 100% it outputs 20 Ma

Thats it no need for inputs, pid etc. etc.
It's just basically a digital display "4 -20 ma potentiometer" with up/down rather than rotary movement.

Does such a unit exist, anybody ?

Is all you need a potentiometer for 4-20ma selection ?

Why don't you just use a pot and a signal conditioner or configure the pot to go direct to 4-20ma input on PLC ?

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=2361

Just re-read, your potentiometer reference threw me so ignore my post.

Last edited:

That m8 is almost exactly what I'm looking for, although I would prefer the 96mm x 96mm size.
I'm in Europe though, and I can't see any stockists or dealers for that product.

The operators have got accustomed to a digital scale of 0 -100% which sends the remote machines a 4 -20 ma signal. There is no plc at all.

The "boss" don't want any confusion and wants to retain that "method", so pots or other methods are not applicable.

It's just such a waste ordering the likes of a Honeywell UDC 2500, to do such a simple task, hence my question, so if anyone knows of similar units to the one osmanmom posted please feel free to add them.

P.S the unit doesn't have to be powered by the loop, as any supply voltage is fine too.