New Allen Bradley Micro 800

Coooollll

Looks like a nice little PLC

I hope the software is good :rolleyes: I know its free but I would rather pay and it be good then free and crashing my PC

I will probably not have the opportunity to use this PLC, but I like what I see.
Structured Text. Modularity. Ethernet. All pretty good indeed.
Would like some more info on how performant the PLC is, and what the price point is.
10K "program steps" and 20KB data is also not so bad. Would put it at approximately the level of a L551-16kW for memory size.

I am guessing that the safety switch on page 3 that seems to be directly connected to the PLC is a cut-and-paste error from a Safety PLC brochure. Or are we in for a bigger surprise yet ?

From my distributor

Hope you’re doing well. Rockwell has the Micro800 scheduled to release for shipment around the end of the first quarter of 2011. However, I’m told that there is a bug in the software right now. I would not expect them before the end of March. I’ll let you know if something changes.

You guys heard about the software? Free + all in one HMI/Programming software.

You can use the software to program the PVC terminals, save using the online interface.

Think you will be happy with the 800 series offering! I am :D

Yeah it's not an error. That picture symbolises the Component level solutions from RA, encompassing the whole spectrum of products. Still, I highly doubt you'll see a safety module for the M800.

Last edited:
The reports I got from Automation Fair is that the new native Windows version of the PV Component editor that's found in the Components Workbench is an order of magnitude faster and smoother than the existing browser-based one.

But this controller isn't really a MicroLogix; it doesn't use the SLC OS or the popular Logix 500 editor. It's a whole different creature, aimed at the market segment below the existing MicroLogix 1100/1400 systems.

I'm not holding my breath for the product release; the product manager is a guy who knows better than to announce or promise something that hasn't passed the last set of tests and the last cycle of quality control.

Yeah, just for clarification, it's not a Micrologix, It's a Micro.

Think high end Pico based stuff.

I attended a Technical Session on the Micro 800 at Automation Fair a couple of weeks ago. There are several models and the base model is something like $85 US list. For the higher end models you can get plug in modules and also expansion modules.

The presenter seemed to be gearing it toward OEMs that don't need larger PLC systems and who don't want to invest in software, support costs, etc. I thought it was interesting that in addition to free software there will be free 8-5 Monday-Friday tech support. So you could buy a PLC, not have to buy software, and not have to buy Tech Support. There's a novel concept. And it uses a USB cable for programming! Seems they've been listening.

To me it does not look like the Micro800 is "below" ML1100 and ML1400. The 810 looks as an improved Pico at an extremely low price point, but the 830 and 850 in particular looks more than a match for ML1100 and ML1400.
Memory: M800 approx 20k+20k, ML1100 4k+4k, ML1400 10k+10k.
Max i/o: M800 approx 150 plus devicenet, ML1100 approx 140, ML1400 approx 250.
Devicenet: M800 master or slave, ML1100 slave only, ML1400 slave only.

To my opinion, and barring that there arent any gotchas, M800 could replace micrologix altogether.

The biggest unknown will be how good the programming software will be. Everything hints to that it is a completely new programming software, with no carrying over from either SLC500 or Logix.

Anyone know if the software be available for an early look before the 800 is released?

I've got a smallish project on next year's timeline for mid April that I was going to use an ML1400 for. I've scheduled myself to have the program done in Feb. If this thing is out or nearly out, and if I had a chance to check out the software in advance, maybe even write it ahead of time, I might consider using it.

Looks like a nice controller, but I can't say that I like the open connection terminals on the units. Aesthetically it looks much better having a door to cover the connection terminals.

Wonder if the new software will still allow excel generated code? Hopefully the ST will allow importing of text.

It's interesting that they would package it with free software. As a systems integrator, we could have many applications for these new Micro800s, but when the customer wants to make upgrades or revisions to machines, we will the get call back to make those changes because we have the licensed software and the know-how. It makes me wonder how often customers would be willing to try to take on the task themselves now of making these changes or upgrades.

This series will probably grow like wild fire. With the inclusion of motion and all the other features, for the most part it will be a MicroLogix replacement.

we will the get call back to make those changes because we have the licensed software and the know-how. It makes me wonder how often customers would be willing to try to take on the task themselves now of making these changes or upgrades.

I would guess that would depend on the level and quality of support and service that was initially and has been given to the end user.o_O

Has anyone heard any updates on when the AB Micro 800 will be available for purchase. I am specifically interested in the Micro 850. I am curious what the pricing will look like.

I also see above that the tech support will also be free. This would be nice, but I am kind of surprised.....