Disposable (cheap) wireless temperature probe

Th OP seems to have stopped responding, but I had a thought that might help someone else. A drone carrying a thermal imaging camera would be reasonably cheap and very flexible, they can fly predetermined routes and be very accurate in their GPS location. No need for cables or thousands of sensors.

Is the high temperature noticeable from the surface? I know you say you have to stick the probe in, but what about using thermal imaging?

Still a manual job, but someone could just walk around with the camera scanning for a high temp.

Although if this happens under a layer of ice...

Canada sounds dangerous! Exploding frozen moss is not a hazard I've encountered before

The piles are quite thick and tall - perhaps 30' at the base and 20 feet tall. Unfortunately, the peat is a very good insulator and it prevents the heat generated at the core from dissipating, or from being detected at the surface

Th OP seems to have stopped responding, but I had a thought that might help someone else. A drone carrying a thermal imaging camera would be reasonably cheap and very flexible, they can fly predetermined routes and be very accurate in their GPS location. No need for cables or thousands of sensors.

Unfortunately, it's too late by the time the heat reaches the surface of the pile. The trick is to detect the rise in temperature before it reaches ignition temperature. if the temperature gets too high, it's too late. Opening the pile will just introduce oxygen and cause rapid ignition.

The peat is such a good insulator that the temperature change at the surface is negligible.