Equipment Monitoring

So thats what they have come up with in their initial meetings, all and all I am looking at possibly 7 inputs and 3 outputs. And in all honesty, knowing how things go, they will change their wish list on a regular basis!

Out of all the ideas on this thread, that one is definitely the surest bet. As soon as management see you do one thing with it, they'll want more and more done. That's why I'd be putting in the effort now to make it more or less endlessly expandable - which to me looks like networking the place!

If management have already started expanding from the original brief, you've got a good case to argue too, when it comes to getting the funds...

"...in just two weeks the scope has expanded from a not just to b. but right through to e. If you want the ability to keep doing this, then stump up the money, let's do it properly, and we can future-proof things so that you can expand all the way to z at a much lower long-term cost."

Good luck!

Keeping all that in mind, we have decided to go with each unit having its own ML1100 networked and running back to a data station plus.

I am still in the process of deciding if a HMI is needed or possibly look at using advanced HMI (I'm currently testing one piece of equipment)

Now I know there are always a hundred ways of achieving the same result, but I have attached my first run at monitoring the equipment.

Its simple, but will allow the plc itself to store more hours than needed and at the same time give us the data we need to start.

Please pick it apart :)

Thanks

You have the information in the PLC. Right or wrong it depends on what you want to see and get from the information. I would run this by your peers to determine if you have managed to get the information required.
Start with the end in mind to determine what you need to do.
Logging and storing the information is a larger part of the process. Let us know if you need assistance.

Regards,