Micro820 Connection Problems

APQ-Service

Hello everyone, I'm working on a project with an Allen-Bradley Micro820 PLC and PV800 HMI. This is my first time using A-B controllers, and I'm having trouble connecting and downloading my ladder diagram.

Thus far, my full program is 13 rungs, and builds successfully. I've also written a test program that's just one input triggering one output, which also builds successfully. However, I haven't been able to download either program.

When I plug into my PLC with a Cat5 patch cable, my PC can see the PLC in both RSLinx Classic (using Ethernet/IP Driver) and in Connected Components Workbench. It successfully detects the PLC IP address, which changes each time I power cycle the PLC, matching the default DHCP IP setting for these PLCs. However, nothing happens when I press the "Connect" button. When I try going through Device-Download, the first time after I connect it says the build is successful, and subsequent times says the controller is up to date, but neither program appears to be working. This happens whether I configure the driver for Windows default or my laptop's Ethernet card.

Software information:
-Allen-Bradley Connected Components Workbench Version 10.01.00 - Standard Edition
-Allen-Bradley RSLinx Classic Revision 3.81.00 CPR 9 SR 8.1
-Windows 7 Service Pack 1 operating system

All Allen-Bradley software was installed from Rockwell Automation CD part # 9328-SO001L-EN-C - March 2017.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong that I can't connect to this PLC?

So CCW does show that you are connected?

When you go to download does it ever actually ask to press download button?

Once program is downloaded you probably will be ask if you want to enter RUN mode.

Is the RUN light on the PLC Solid or flashing?

If it is flashing you are not in RUN mode.

Thank you for the reply! No, CCW has never shown connected. When I try to connect, either by pressing the button or going through the drop down in the toolbar, I get the Windows spinning donut for ~5 seconds and then nothing. Subsequent attempts to connect may or may not induce the spinning donut, apparently at the whims of the computer.

When I've downloaded, a button separate from the Device drop down never comes up, I just get the build report at the bottom of CCW. This is where it tells me the build is successful or the controller is up to date.

The RUN/Program switch and activity lights that show up in CCW when my PC sees the PLC are always grayed out, and nothing happens when I try to press them.

The RUN light on the PLC flashes, ENET is solid. SD is solid when I have one inserted. This has not changed since the first power up.

How do I switch it to run mode if the switch in CCW isn't available? I've read elsewhere that I can use the ConfigMeFirst.txt file on a microSD card to change the state of the PLC, should I try changing to RUN mode that way to see if one of the programs has made it through?

When you goto setup connection path and browse, you should get a selection of network(drivers you want to browse) this should be one of them "AB_ETHIP_1", if that is not listed this is your problem, if it is listed click on it.

This should then should the IP address of your PLC if it does make sure it is highlighted then click OK, this will then connect to the PLC.

Now this will only work if your Laptop(PC) is on the same subnet as the PLC.
Example: Laptop IP = 192.168.1.100
PLC will have to be = 192.168.1.x

Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0

You might want to set the IP of the PLC to Static then just connect to laptop and nothing else.

Here's how to set PLC to static if you can't connect.

On a sd card create a "Configmefirst.txt" file and in that file this should be.

[PM]
[IPA=192.168.2.101]
[SNM=255.255.255.0]
[GWA=192.168.2.1]
[END]

Save and insert into PLC and do a power cycle, Plc will set it's ip to the information in the file.

Now you would know what you are working with.

Let me know, I will help as much as I can.

So I entered the above text (with IP, subnet mask, and GWA to match my computer settings through control panel-network and internet-network connections-local area connection-view status of this connection), saved it to the microSD card, inserted in the PLC and power cycled. The SD light flashed a few times and turned off, the ENET light is solid, and RUN is flashing.

After this, I went into RSLinx, setup a new Ethernet/IP Driver (AB_ETHIP-4), and configured it to use the local area connection found through the control panel. I then went into CCW-device-setup connection path-browse-AB_ETHIP-4, where it can see the PLC, but the IP doesn't match what I saved on the SD card.

While the IP doesn't match that saved in the ConfigMeFirst.txt file, I selected the new driver and was able to connect and download my project. It looks like my program is running from my brief test, thank you for the help!

Hi
Hope you are doing well
I'm a beginner in PLC and starting with Allen Bradley Micro 820
I was testing it, and now I have an issue.
Yesterday I connected the PLC and my laptop via Ethernet using a youtube video
now when I plug the ethernet cable I can't find the Micro820 in the connection browser.
I tried several IP addresses but can´t make it communicate to the PLC.

Also tried the "Configmefirst.txt" file but cant figure it out
Here is an image of the problem
MXcBRBNk

hope you can give me some advice
Regards!

When you goto setup connection path and browse, you should get a selection of network(drivers you want to browse) this should be one of them "AB_ETHIP_1", if that is not listed this is your problem, if it is listed click on it.

This should then should the IP address of your PLC if it does make sure it is highlighted then click OK, this will then connect to the PLC.

Now this will only work if your Laptop(PC) is on the same subnet as the PLC.
Example: Laptop IP = 192.168.1.100
PLC will have to be = 192.168.1.x

Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0

You might want to set the IP of the PLC to Static then just connect to laptop and nothing else.

Here's how to set PLC to static if you can't connect.

On a sd card create a "Configmefirst.txt" file and in that file this should be.

[PM]
[IPA=192.168.2.101]
[SNM=255.255.255.0]
[GWA=192.168.2.1]
[END]

Save and insert into PLC and do a power cycle, Plc will set it's ip to the information in the file.

Now you would know what you are working with.

Let me know, I will help as much as I can.
I attempted to assign a static IP to my micro820 and I ended up losing communication with the PLC. Thanks to your instruction, I was able to fix it. Thanks.