FactoryTalk View Trend setup ?s

BinderNut

Looking for an idea what I'm doing wrong here.

FactoryTalk View 9.0 and building a runtime for a v5.10 PV+1500.

My pens are drawing like I prefer while the trend screen is displayed, but if I close the trend window and re-open it, the data is not re-drawn the same way.
Not sure if it's a problem with my trend setup or with the data log.

Trend setup:
Automatic chart update
5sec refresh
100 records per pen buffer
(I've also tried On Change with a 5sec heartbeat and get the same result)

Data Log setup:
300000 max data points
Log Trigger - On Change. 2sec max update rate, 0% change percentage, 90sec Heartbeat

See attached screenshot:
The lower-right trend shows the trend as it displays when the screen is open.
The upper-left trend shows it as displayed after you close the trend and re-open it.
The red pen is a simple 0/1 binary value. In the lower right, it shows a nice square-wave showing how long the value is 1. In the upper trend, it looks like the data is filtered or condensed down with long slopes instead of nice sharp transitions.

trend3crop.jpg

Try to download and install the latest software patches for FT View from the Rockwell website

Probably not a software/patch issue. This is a configuration issue.

The observations you have pointed out are the correct operation for a trend that does not have a Data Log. The problem is one of two things.

1. The Datalog itself. You do not have the Data Log correctly configured. We haven't seen any screenshots of the configuration so this is just speculation. This would include going into the Startup Editor and selecting the box for Data logging and then selecting your specific Data Log model to run on power-up. You can only have one Datalog selected.

2. The trend isn't using the Data Log. Open the Trend Properties and go to the Pens tab. Make sure that the Data Log Model has been selected. Again, screenshots of the configuration window would have helped here. The run-time screenshots don't tell us anything useful.

OG

OG

Here's the setup dialogs for both the trend object and the data log.

The trend should be using the data log.
I'm thinking it might need to be configured for On Change instead of Automatic though. I've tried that, but when I test the whole runtime application in Studio there is no change to the activity.

And I do have the latest Rockwell patch roll-up installed on our dev machines.

Thanks!

1_DataLog_Setup.jpg 1_Trend_Setup.jpg

And now I feel like an idiot! Simple solution that I missed when setting up the pens.
I was using the analog pen type instead of digital.

capture_001_02012018_145112.jpg

Yeah, the "solution" has no bearing on the problem you described. Apples and oranges. Same with the On Change versus Automatic settings. Those have nothing to do with the problem you described.

"Analog" and "digital" pen type just affects how the line is drawn.

If a tag is sampled every five seconds (note the down triangle markers) "analog" interpolates the data in between. "Digital" does not. In the graphic below we see the same tag plotted as analog on the top and digital on the bottom.

What we saw on your screenshots looked OK. But we still have to make sure the Startup Editor is configured correctly.

OG

Trend.JPG

For the two tags that I was having problems with, the Digital pen is the one I should have been using. That is the solution for that particular problem but my initial description might've been off.
The data log is recording the transition times correctly, just when the trend page was closed and re-opened the trend wasn't repopulating the graph with the square-wave I was wanting to flag the change-of-states with.
While the graph was being drawn in realtime, it did display the transition times/states properly. Only when it went back to the data log to repopulate the graph did those "extrapolated" non-0 and non-1 values between the state changes get filled in.
The other Analog pens were working fine, just those two BOOL tag watching pens were the problem children on this trend.

As for the startup config, data logging is checked and the log file is selected. No extra startup or shutdown macros on our projects.

Thanks for assistance everyone.

capture_002_07012018_095519.jpg

Last edited:
Oh ok.....I get what you were saying. I was under the impression the data wasn't drawing at all, not that it wasn't drawing correctly.

Glad it is working for you now.

OG