general rslogic500 install question

G
Hi,
I've finished building a PLC sim. and have found a pc to dedicate to it, but having problems with the install. I know some of you might have some concerns in this area so let me say that there are pc's out of commision or not used for PLC's so licensing isn't a issue. My problem is I've never installed a PLC from scratch. My question is do I have all the software needed. I had to hunt to get what I've got. I have the Rslogic500 CD(with rslinx lite) and a Rslinx professional CD and a MasterDisk for Rslinx on floppy (don't think this is with the other stuff). When I select the program from the start menu it will not start because of a copy protection error. One thing I noticed upon installing it (both times) is moving activation. I think I'm missing something because I try to move it from the CD (rslogix500) to the C: and it says nothing to move or nothing found. Is there a floppy or second CD I need to find and is this what is causing my problems or am I barking up the wrong tree. I've read some notes and help files but nothing is specific to installation and nothing instructs you to put another CD in. I don't know where the box is for the serial # so I looked at one of the computers used for this and took the number from there. Any help is appreciated. I figured if I contact Rockwell either a service contract will be needed or cost to the company which neither will happen. I've built the box with my money, just using one of their PLC's not in use currently. Since this is my project I doubt I will get anyone's time and definetly no company money. Any help is deeply appreciated. I feel like a kid that just got a new toy but I can't open it yet - it's driving me nuts to see if I did everything right (which I'm pretty sure I did)
Thank you all,
Dr Oldz
I will check in at least twice a day except for Friday and will post a reply to answer any questions you have. I didn't go into rev's and such because I think this a general question.

I'm a registered user

I don't know why I am shown as a guest but wanted you to know I'm registered and not someone just browsing around. I don't know why this happened to me before too, oh well, now you know who I am. Thanks,
Dr Oldz

found part or all of answer

Well, once again I decided to look for some answers and I must of missed this the last time I tried to install this. I found that there is a "master disk" (I don't know if it's a disKette or disC), but I will look around for it. If I move activation from one working pc to diskette and copy to my pc, can I copy it back to the original pc without causing any havoc, as it will cause things to accelerate from 0 to hectic in .89 sec when things don't work? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dr Oldz
I won't be able to physically try anything on the machine until Monday as I have the rest of the week off, but being prepared will help.

You need the "Master Disk" with a valid license on it to activate the software. Looks like this:
[attachment]
You can transfer it back and forth to your hearts delight, but remember, you can only have the activation on one computer at a time.

That's the idea behind copy protection... :rolleyes:

beerchug

-Eric

disk.jpg

If you have that diskette you may be able to leave activation on other computer and just leave diskette in floppy drive on your other plc. works for me.

Bob

A pic is worth a 1000 words

Thanks Eric and Bob,
Now I know what to look for (haven't seen it yet), does it have to be a specific one (matched to the cd)? I can almost taste the candy now!

Dr Oldz

... this might help ...

Greetings, droldz,

two quick tips:

first: you keep mentioning “PLC” and “RSLogix500” ... those two terms don’t really go together (not unless you’re using “PLC” in the broadest sense of the word) ...

question: are you using a processor from the PLC-5 family... or a processor from the SLC-500 family ... or a processor from the MicroLogix family ... or something else? ... point: the PLC-5 family requires RSLogix5 software ... the SLC-500 family and the MicroLogix family use RSLogix500 ...

many people call all of these families “PLC’s” (in the broadest sense of the word) ... but there are enough differences between the different platforms to cause quite a bit of confusion ... tip: you really do need to be more specific about your hardware and software ... it’s usually easier to give “too much” information the first time around rather than going back and forth with one post after another to get all of the facts straight ....

second: assuming that you are correct in using RSLogix500, then this little booklet (which ships with the software) might help you get started:

RSLogix500 Getting Results Guide

Appendix A is all about “activation - master disk” issues ... this would be a good chapter for you to read first ... if you’re just getting started, I’d suggest that you read the whole little booklet ... it points out a lot of nifty features that many beginners never even know exist ...

good luck ...

With all of you I got it!!!!!!!

Thank you to Ron and the rest of you as well. With all your help and tips I did get it up as I went in Friday on my own time to work on it because I was a little too geeked so........thanks to you it is up and running. Thanks so much for helping me getting it going but more importantly for teaching me and just outright helping someone else asking nothing in return. It's hard to find that today, but this website and drag racing fans seem to really want to help others. I have helped a couple others on this site but with minor stuff because I'm not as advanced as some of you. With reading posts and more time I feel confident I will be much more knowledgeable.
Thanks again
Dr. Oldz