Modicon m430 and momentum as modbus slaves

IdealDan

Hi Guys,

Does Modicon M430 and Momentum Controller have In-Built Modbus SLAVE functionality or do I need to add a Modbus card to them? I'm checking manuals but could not find SLAVE info.

Regards

M340 model with the built in ethernet port (part number has 2020 in it) yes. No need for additional NOE or NOC card.

Not sure about momentum.

Hi, M340 cpu2020 has dedicated modbus rj45 socket. Master or slave can be chosen.

Momentum with rs485 "top hat" also modbus rj45 socket also has master/slave functionality.

Use Cat 5 patch lead into m340 modbus port. Cut off the other plug and terminate pins 4 blue and pin 5 blue/white (rx/tx) into your network for rs485 2 wire.

Why on earth are you using modbus RTU for new installs?

Go Ethernet. You'll save the cost of the network switch with the reduced troubleshooting time.

Why on earth are you using modbus RTU for new installs?

Go Ethernet. You'll save the cost of the network switch with the reduced troubleshooting time.
Actually, some of the slaves on the same network have only RS485.
eg Gas Chromatography etc

Really?
Will this work?
Or should there be a converter kind of?

The 342020 processor is Ethernet and RS485, the 341000 and 342000 is RS485 only, both presented on RJ45 socket, wiring details in the manuals, can be slave or master

@saffa, we see it a lot as a means of network separation, i.e. SCADA to BMS comms. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie_cookie View Post
Use Cat 5 patch lead into m340 modbus port. Cut off the other plug and terminate pins 4 blue and pin 5 blue/white (rx/tx) into your network for rs485 2 wire.
Really?
Will this work?
Or should there be a converter kind of

I assume you would need to terminate the modbus cable into your network via junction box and terminals? Thats, how I have done it in the past.