Assign IP Address to PowerFlex 523

AnotherPLCguy

Hello Experts,

I am a newbie in setting up the Allen Bradley PowerFlex drives and need to assign an IP Address to a PowerFlex 523 series drive which has the 25-COMM-E2P adapter - I know there is a way through the HIM on the drive but want to know how it can be done via CCW (Connected Components WorkBench) or RS Logix 5000 ?

Thanks!

Hi VAN, Thanks for the reply! I can access the drive from the USB slot in the back but where in CCW do I assign the IP address ? If I hit the device properties tab, I do not see a communications tab where you assign the IP address. I looked up some videos on youtube which show it for a 525 drive and they show a communications tab where you can change it but 523 drive doesn't show anything like that - see attached image.

Image 1.jpg

Hmm, I don't have a PF523 that I can pull up.

How about opening RSLinx and see if you can access the device properties.

I could also be wrong but from Rockwell it looks like you should be able to configure through the USB port.

edit - If you have access to the parameters you should be able to set these to the IP you want. Also, make sure to power cycle after making the change to make sure the IP stayed (also turn off bootp and DHCP).
EN Addr Sel(1) C128
EN IP Addr Cfg 1(1) C129
EN IP Addr Cfg 2(1) C130
EN IP Addr Cfg 3(1) C131
EN IP Addr Cfg 4(1) C132
EN Subnet Cfg 1(1) C133
EN Subnet Cfg 2(1) C134
EN Subnet Cfg 3(1) C135
EN Subnet Cfg 4(1) C136
EN Gateway Cfg 1(1) C137
EN Gateway Cfg 2(1) C138

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/520-um001_-en-e.pdf

Last edited:
With the drive connected to my laptop via the USB cable, nothing shows up in RSLinx for the 523 drive. Yes, I agree with you that from the Rockwell Manuals it looks like I can configure via the USB port but am having difficulties and hence I am here.

With the drive connected to my laptop via the USB cable, nothing shows up in RSLinx for the 523 drive. Yes, I agree with you that from the Rockwell Manuals it looks like I can configure via the USB port but am having difficulties and hence I am here.

Do you have the USB driver configured (this should be in RSLinx) for the USB? (I don't recall this being added automatically.)

I haven't used a powerflex 523 with a 25-COMM-E2P, but from glancing at the manual and playing around in CCW, it appears the 25-COMM-E2P has parameters that are completely separate from the parameters in the drive. It looks like the two methods you have to establish initial communication is via the dip switches or bootp. After communication is established, you can connect via CCW and change parameters from there. I do not believe it can be configured directly from the drives configuration in CCW.

The 25-COMM-E2P is added to CCW by selecting "Multi-drive PF52x E2P" in the add device menu with all the drives.