Contollogix Remote Rack Status

mcalidl

I know there is a way to check the status of a remote i/o rack over ethernet in the controllogix, I'm just not sure how yet. Here is what we have: Rack with Processor and 1756 ENBT card and then a remote rack with an ENBT card. I am looking for a way to alarm if the remote rack drops of the network.

If you are using Rack Optimization for the modules on the remote rack, you can use the SlotStatusBits DINT to get information about the modules.

1=connection lost, 0=connectiion established

This DINT is available at the top level of the ENBT in the remote rack. For example, if the ENBT has the name "RACK01", it would look like this.

Rack01:I.SlotStatusBits when viewing in Controller Tags.

Last edited:
Yes...The CIP connection (which is how the I/O is communicated between the racks) between the local rack and the remote rack would be lost and the values in this DINT would be updated to reflect this.

Please note that this will only work if the module is set for RackOptimization. The value will be bogus if it is anything else. Also, it is only an indication of the connection to the module and tells you nothing about any faults or misconfiguration on the module. If you need additional information, you will need to use the GSV method already mentioned.

Ok. Right now the SlotStatusBits DINT has hex value FFFF_FF0F while everything is OK. What value should I look for? There is nothing in Slot 0, ENBT in Slot 1, and I/O cards in Slots 2-7, and Slots 8 and 9 are empty in a 10 Card Rack.

I can't tell you what the number should be until you give me more details on how the remote IO is configured in RS5000.

Create a message instruction and in the configuration use the following:

Message type = CIP Generic
Service Type = Get Attribute Single
Service Code = e
Instance = 1
Class = f6
Attribute = 2

In the destination, create a DINT tag call it say LinkStatusWord

In the communication type the name of the ethernet card in the remote rack (e.g - EB_01)

Bit 0 is the link status in the LinkStatusWord ( 1 = Active ; 0 = Inactive)
Bit 1 is module duplex mode ( 1 = full duplex ; 0 = Half Duplex)
Bit 2 to 31 are reserved.

Use Bit 0 as you indicated for the connection.

I use the CIP MSG for communications modules, and GSV for IO modules that are in the IO tree.

Then I can use this information to determine a "rack fault" alarm, and/or loss of comms alarm.