PLC5 to ControlLogix Upgrade - GSV?

BigTed

Hi,

We are upgrading a PLC5 to ControlLogix (L61) and want to know if we can replicate the Run/Test/Program Mode Status Bits (S:1/01 -> S:1/03).

I've seen some status bits that can be extracted with the GSV command but how do you do that if the processor is in Program Mode - as the ladder won't be executing?

Thanks

If you are using Linx Classic, try some of the predefined status items on the topic:

[CLX_OPC_TOPIC]@Mode returns a string of the processor mode, (Run, Program, Remote Run, Remote Program)

[CLX_OPC_TOPIC]@Status returns a string of processor state (Ok or Faulted).

Look up "Predefined Items" in Linx Help for more.

GSV won't work

GSV is only executed when the processor is in the run mode, so when it goes to Program mode, it won't update.
I remember seeing something on the knowledgebase about another processor doing an MSG to find out the status. Aside from that, I think the RSLinx method that rdrast mentioned is your best bet.

ttichy said:
GSV is only executed when the processor is in the run mode, so when it goes to Program mode, it won't update.
I remember seeing something on the knowledgebase about another processor doing an MSG to find out the status. Aside from that, I think the RSLinx method that rdrast mentioned is your best bet.

seems kind of silly to have an instruction to detect the PLC is in program mode, when the PLC needs to be in Run mode to execute the instruction.

This reminds me of a job I done a long time ago in S.A. with S5-135u. This PLC was in a very hot room and at the time it was a known fact that a 135U did not like heat. After I left the job site to return home for a few weeks, the customer ran the process knowing full well that the PLC was operating outside of the nominal operating temperature. One day when the plant was shut down, the PLC began randomly setting outputs causing a scenerio where some equipment became damaged. With all the usual 'who is at fault' **** that followed, someone chirped up that in my program I did not have the CPU INSANE bit programmed to monitor for such occurences. Of course my only comeback to that was, eventhough the PLC went off the deep end, It should have be 'SANE' enough to know that it had gone 'INSANE' and taken appropriate action?

curlyandshemp said:
seems kind of silly to have an instruction to detect the PLC is in program mode, when the PLC needs to be in Run mode to execute the instruction.

This reminds me of a job I done a long time ago in S.A. with S5-135u. This PLC was in a very hot room and at the time it was a known fact that a 135U did not like heat. After I left the job site to return home for a few weeks, the customer ran the process knowing full well that the PLC was operating outside of the nominal operating temperature. One day when the plant was shut down, the PLC began randomly setting outputs causing a scenerio where some equipment became damaged. With all the usual 'who is at fault' **** that followed, someone chirped up that in my program I did not have the CPU INSANE bit programmed to monitor for such occurences. Of course my only comeback to that was, eventhough the PLC went off the deep end, It should have be 'SANE' enough to know that it had gone 'INSANE' and taken appropriate action?
He he. Good answer! This sane/insane stuff makes me think of my own uxorial discussions :)

p.s. finally I get to use that word in a sentence!!!