1756-L61 ControlLogix 5561 with a new 1756-BA2 Battery. Still loses program

Cydog

Good Afternoon ,

We have a ControlLogix 5561 controller. The maintenance group , powered down the machine and lost the program. The battery light was red. They replaced the battery with a 1756-BA2 battery , and the battery light is still red. This morning they powered down the panel and the PLC , and we lost the program again . Battery light is still red. There is not a place in properties to select to have it saved by by the battery , correct ? Have any of you seen this problem before ?

Thanks in advance

There was a known issue with the L61 processors in which it would do exactly as you described. I do not remember the exact details, but it was listed on the AB web site a number of years ago. Maybe someone else will remember more details.

Question

What can I do about reduced battery life of ControlLogix 1756-L6x Series B Controllers?

Cause

The battery is being prematurely drained due to a component on the controller module.

Estimated failure rate, based on the supplier data and data gathered by Rockwell Automation is 14.2 parts per million. This equates to less than one (1) controller in seven hundred (700) experiencing this anomaly with a premature battery drain.

Answer

With the ControlLogix 1756-L6x Series B Controllers, the following issue exists:

Approximately 0.14% of Controllers manufactured between June 1st, 2006 and March 16, 2009 can realize an anomaly.

Note: The actual symptoms presented with this anomaly can take various forms, the most identified issues are:
1.The 1756-BA2 battery can be drained prior to the normally stated worst case estimates as shown below.
2.A new 1756-BA2 battery is installed and the 'BATT' indicator stays on.

If you have a module with the date code range and are experiencing anomalous behavior, contact technical support.

Workaround

There are no temporary workarounds.

If you have determined you have one of the affected controllers, contact your local Rockwell Automation Sales and Support office to initiate a warranty exchange of the affected controller.

If the low battery LED is illuminated red or if the user program was written to monitor a low battery status, you can safely replace the battery while the controller is running.