Registering an EDS file

Steve Bailey

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
The boondocks of Western Massachusetts USA
I'm running RSLinx Classic Lite on an XP virtual machine. RSLinx can see the 1768ENBT/A but shows it as an unrecognized device. When I try to upload the EDS file from the ENBT/A module I get a prompt to enter a user name and password. The error message I get when I enter my XP user name and password appears to come from the EDS Wizard. Is there a default user name and password for the tool?

Is it asking you to login to factorytalk or windows?
It appears to be asking me to login to the EDS wizard.
Not sure, but you may try admin for both
Didn't help.

Originally XP was set to automatically log in as administrator without a password. After I added a password for the administrator login and used the administrator name and password to login to the EDS wizard, I started getting a message that I had insufficient privilege to run EDS wizard. The same message referred me to RSLinx online help for information about minimum privilege levels required, but searching online help using the keyword "EDS" turned up nothing useful.

On the chance that nobody was paying attention when I originally posted this on Friday afternoon before a holiday weekend I'm bumping this back to the top. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling RSLinx but that didn't help. The login screen popped up during the RSLinx installation. If I hit "OK" with the fields blank it popped back up with a note that blank fields weren't permitted. When I entered the Windows XP administrator password I got the "insufficient privilege" notice. When I closed the popup the RSLinx installation continued.

Rockwell's technote 518888 says:

518888 | Date Created: 12/18/2012 | Last Updated: 03/18/2016
Access Level: TechConnect Email this page Print Subscribe to Updates
Question

When I open EDS Wizard in RSNetworx, Log On to Register EDS file window pops up and requires User name, Password and Domain.

Environment

RSNetWorx for ControlNet
RSNetWorx for DeviceNet
RSNetWorx for EtherNet/IP
EDS Hardware Installation Tool

Answer

You must log in as Administrator to use RSNetWorx.

If you log in as Non-Administrator user account, you are required to log in as Administrator when EDS Wizard starts

So, it appears to be forcing you to login as administrator...

I am logged in as an administrator on the XP virtual machine, but not as an administrator on the host system (Windows 7). The virtual machine doesn't show up when I open VMware while logged in to the administrator account on the host machine. I'll have to work out how to share it between accounts in VMware.

I was involved in a project where I needed both RSLogix5000 and RSView. The project was an upgrade of an existing machine. My license for RSLogix5000 (Version 19) was sufficient for the firmware level of the PLC, but I had to get a new license (Version 8.20)for the PanelView. I was trying to install RSView Studio on the same XP virtual machine as my existing RSLogix license. The installation of RSView must have overwritten something that RSLogix was using for EDS registration.
I resolved the issue by using a Windows 7 machine for RSView Studio.

The installation of RSView must have overwritten something that RSLogix was using for EDS registration.
Probably it was Factory Talk Service Platform. By default FactoryTalk Services Platform should install automatically during the installation of software like RSLogix, RSLinx, FTV, RSNetworx. So you need to check the compatibility matrix to know if any old software could be affected when you want to test new software or new versions of your software.

Wow good to know about this, im having the EXACT same issues with my VMware on win xp with all the same problem and already spoke to Rockwell Tech support 3 times.

I guess i will simply try a Windows 7 and give it a try