what is motion control with PLC

backendcode

Hey Guys, Some of you may know I am pretty new to this plc world. I have a silly question!

What is motion control and where do I need it and how I do motor control with PLC?

My research and assumption, motion control is controlling the motion or movement of a part with PLC and how can I move the part of my machine? use servo motor and stepper motor?

Now, Which motor should I use?

How do I control the servo motor?I need servo card in my PLC rack.

Why do i need servo card? Because How I can't control my AC motor directly with output card so I use contactor to control it similarly to control the servo motor, I need servo card and my output will go to servo card and control the motor through the servo card.

What do you think? Do I have the basic idea about the concept of motion control?

Please explain it to me!

Best,

#1 Depends on the PLC and drives. Some need an extra servo card, some don't.

#2 You need a well tuned variable speed drive and motor. AC, DC, Servo, Stepper, even hydraulics work.

#3 You need to decide if you actually NEED servo type control.

#4 You have to define what types of motion control you are seeking... Velocity? Positioning? Speeds? Accuracy requirements? Motion control indeed is designed to control, well, motion. Speed profiling, camming, synchronization...but not all motion control requires servo response. A traversing winder can run perfectly fine just as a speed follower. A flying shear cannot.

#5 No, a contactor controlling a motor across the line will not work. (Well, unless it is starting a hydraulic pump, for a hydraulic motion system).

So, what are you actual requirements and questions? I think you are mixing too many things together above, pick one, and ask about it.