Lifetime Supporting Member
Hardware:
HMI: PanelView Plus 1000
PLC: 1769-L32E

Software:
Logix 5000 rev 19
FT View Studio 6.10

Hello

Guys I am encountering a problem with Alarm messages. Whenever a fault or conditon occurs, I need a meesage to appear on my PV screen. Communications are set up properly and the everything works perfectly except an Alarm message when one needs to be displayed.

Here is what I have done:

I clicked "Startup" and checked Alarms and Information messages
I clicked "Alarm setup" and created Triggers by using tags and expressions for example: Silo_1 >= 90

Gave a value for the Trigger Silo_1 >= 90 Value: 90

Then I typed a message: Silo #1 Reaching Full Capacity

I checked "display" and used appropraite foreground and background colors for the message.

I then proceeded to advanced. At display, I chose the [ALARM] display to display Alarms when triggered.

From there I right clicked in the ALARM display and clicked properties. I then clicked Alarm from the properties window and looked at Filtering. I selected ALL Trigger Labels and applied this to my application.

I still can not trigger an Alarm to pop up on my PanelView whenever an alarm condition occurs.

Does anyone have any idea what I doing wrong or have any suggestions to find a solution.

Thanks

I usually decide on the required number of alarms ( let's call it "n")and then create a Logix DINT tag with Dim 0 = n and named FAULT. (The n limit would be 32; you could leave "room" for future expansion choosing a Dimension higher than the required number of alarms; if more than 32 alarms are needed ,another DINT Alarm Trigger tag will have to be created)

I would then write RSLogix 5000 ladder logic as to reflect every fault scenario. Every scenario rung will OTL one of the FAULT tag's n components.

For example, in your case, if Silo_1 is full, add a rung which will scan true when the silo is full and OTL FAULT.1; if Silo 2 is full latch FAULT.2 and so on.

Then create a BOOL tag, let's call it "Alarm-Acknowledge PB" and then XIC it on a rung which will CLR FAULT.

Within FTVS application, the Alarm Configuration will use only one trigger - {[Shortcut]FAULT} -as a Bit Trigger Type.

Under Optional Trigger Connections the ACK will list {[Shortcut]Alarm-Acknowledge PB} as the tag which will acknowledge any eventually triggered alarms.

Within the FTVS Alarm Configuration "Messages"tab, I will list the RSLogix 5000 configured scenarios in the same order as ladder logic compiled, with the desired message and ascendent Trigger Values.

For example #1 will be Trigger:{[Shortcut]FAULT}; Message:"Silo 1 Full!"; Value 1 (the first DINT of the FAULT tag is not equal to 0).
Consequently #2 will be Trigger:{[Shortcut]FAULT}; Message:"Silo 2 Full!"; Value 2 (the second DINT of the FAULT tag is not equal to 0).

When the system is running, any DINT within the FAULT tag will be continuously examined by the application running on the HMI terminal. In case any of the FAULT tag's DINTs is not equal to zero, the corresponding value alarm message will pop up within the Alarm display. After the alarm conditions are removed, the HMI Alarm Acknowledge push button will CLR the FAULT tag and the process will continue.

I know FTVS is not as intuitive as other HMI software and the manuals are far from being user friendly. We all went through this and I guess (eventually) practice makes it perfect.:sick:

Last edited:
This is awesome feedback! Thank you so much! I have a much better perspective on what I need to do now.

Again

Thanks and I will let you know how this works out

Kandy

"For example #1 will be Trigger:{[Shortcut]FAULT}; Message:"Silo 1 Full!"; Value 1 (the first DINT of the FAULT tag is not equal to 0).
Consequently #2 will be Trigger:{[Shortcut]FAULT}; Message:"Silo 2 Full!"; Value 2 (the second DINT of the FAULT tag is not equal to 0)."

So are you using a 1 Dim array DINT tag or using a 2 Dim Array DINT tag called FAULT?

A 1 Dim Array DINT tag would not work bec if more than one alarm triggered simultaneously, an unrecognizable value would result.

Right?

Let's keep it here...;)

It is an "n" dimension array; you could use n=32 for future alarm development.

I will have to edit my original post though: the fault scenario rungs will latch the FAULT tag starting with FAULT.0 of course...šŸ™ƒ

ANY "true"FAULT.n will trigger an "Alarm Condition";a "true" FAULT.0 will pop up Alarm Message #1(Value=1), a true FAULT.1 will pop up Alarm Message #2(Value=2) and so on.

This is almost similar to the old PanelBuilder way to "do" alarming.

You're welcome...
There are various ways to skin the "FTVS Alarm Cat"...I guess this one is a carry-over from the PB days...
I wish the FTVS user manuals will get a more professional revision...the sooner the better..."Playing" with it is an option which requires too much of our valuable time...