Crimson 3 / 3.1 alternative security manager

BryanG

Rather than reinvent the wheel by doing something myself I wondered if anyone has an alternative to the standard Crimson user/security system. Problems with the standard one are: not being able to change things runtime, and only being able to modify passwords for your own, or everyone makes things difficult. I at least need to be able to limit the passwords that someone can change to users lower in the hierarchy.

I don't know if this is helpful to you, but I stopped using passwords all together and started installing badge scanners instead. The badge scanner is read directly by the PLC and security level is coded within.

Soon I hope to graduate to a centralized server for the badge database but, until then, I simply have to keep all the machines updated one-by-one.

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for the idea. Probably wouldn't work here because the machines are mobile and the crews operating them change fairly often, it would be a nightmare of lost/forgotten badges. They always wear gloves to protect them from the chemicals they are using, so fingerprint is out of the question. This is my first project with Crimson and I am a little disappointed in the security options. I am hoping there is something that can be done with SQL and some programming.