14 Wire Selector Switch

The Plc Kid

Guy's

I need some help to order some kind of selector switch that will switch 12-14 wires. The circuit is 15 vdc and some -10 to +10 analog wires also. Do i need something with gold contacts for the analogs? What about the 15 vdc? any special contact material?

Using a standard selector switch and stacking that many blocks will not work as the cabinet is only 12 inches deep plus i could see that getting damaged easily when working in the panel. Any other ideas? I have been doing some searches but have not found anything with that many poles on a hand 2 position selector switch.

Is that 12-14 wires as in 12-14 circuits or is that 12-14 wires as in 6-7 circuits?

Not that it really matters. I would use a relay or two to switch the actual signals. Just have the switch drive the relay(s). By the time you build up that many circuits on a switch body you will have something pretty unwieldy.

Keith

Oh come on Keith don't you remember all the fun you can have with the special contact block on the back of a SS. Early make, late break, just think off all the confusion you could create.

I had a call to a plant where they had a 4 pos AB 800 SS with 7 blocks on the back of it. They did use the early make contacts. They built an almost identical machine but couldn’t get it to run. They looked at the switch but missed the part numbers. So I made a service call off of it.

It is for switching a controller between 2 cables so all 14 wires will need a contact and need to be switched. Is there any miniature contactors with this many poles and locic level contacts? Reversing?

So, two positions, 14 poles?

I would use an array of relays with gold plated contacts. 4 four pole relays with form C contacts would give you two spares...

Perhaps if you tell us a bit more about your hardware and what signals you are trying to switch we might be able to give you an alternative to switching all 14 wires.
Roy

It says on the site, on the very page he links to: Critical applications include use in naval vessels, jet aircraft, in space launch and monitoring circuits.

Thanks for the help everyone. For now i will go with OkiePC solution as i have those parts in house but i am also going to purchase some of the tbar relays for future applications it would clean things up a little bit.

I also have never seen the tbar relays but it looks like a very useful product. As always on this site you get multiple good solutions for your problem at hand and other great education/info for future uses. Thanks for all the replies.