Scada with gprs

IdealDan

Hi Guys,
I have a Project whereby my client wants to REMOTELY see data coming from their energy meters. They want a situation where any authorized staff can just log on to a platform (may be a website) from anywhere/location and be able to view the data/value from those energy meter. Can GPRS achieve this? How best can I achieve this?
Thanks in advance.

You have not provided allot of detail on your existing data. Ill assume that it is on an Ethernet network. I would then use this or something similar to see the information remotely.
https://www.automationdirect.com/stride/index

Regards,
Sorry Dear, it is not on Ethernet rather it's OPC server communication protocol. then with fibre optics wiring.
The energy meters does NOT has Modbus capability.
Any ideas?

where are those energy meters located ?

I think that the old GPRS only offers a few services like email, www access, data transfer but I don't know if it's possible to establish TCP connections , mandatory to communicate with an OPC server.

where are those energy meters located ?

I think that the old GPRS only offers a few services like email, www access, data transfer but I don't know if it's possible to establish TCP connections , mandatory to communicate with an OPC server.
If GPRS can give www access (website)and then it is ok! can it?

Second, I hope the OPC Protocol is good for this application?

where are those energy meters located ? AT THE PLANT!

No, to have www access in this case doesn't mean to establish other TCP connections.
If they are all in a plant, why not to use Wi-Fi or wired ethernet ?

GPRS is not free, they will have to pay to the telephony provider for each connection point and probably to pay an extra to get static IPs if not the meters will be unreachable ...

It seems possible TCP over GPRS with some hardware https://www.moxa.com/Event/IW/2009/OnCell_G3111_G3151_IP_Modem/index.htm

No, to have www access in this case doesn't mean to establish other TCP connections.

GPRS is not free, they will have to pay to the telephony provider for each connection point and probably to pay an extra to get static IPs if not the meters will be unreachable ...

It seems possible TCP over GPRS with some hardware https://www.moxa.com/Event/IW/2009/OnCell_G3111_G3151_IP_Modem/index.htm
Good friend, they need to see data anywhere an authorized staff is, should be able to log in an view.

Instead of using GPRS use wifi/wired ethernet and have a web server interpret and serve the data. The plant's internet connection can become the address for monitoring. If your devices are OPC already you should have no problem writing an ASP .NET (either C# or VB) site to handle this. Modbus (if available) opens up a lot of possibilities too.

Instead of using GPRS use wifi/wired ethernet and have a web server interpret and serve the data. The plant's internet connection can become the address for monitoring. If your devices are OPC already you should have no problem writing an ASP .NET (either C# or VB) site to handle this. Modbus (if available) opens up a lot of possibilities too.
Unfortunately, the energy meter does not support Modbus.

1. If your devices are OPC already you should have no problem writing an ASP .NET (either C# or VB) site to handle this------IS THERE ADDITIONAL HARDWARE REQUIRED TO ACHIEVE THIS METHOD?

2. Instead of using GPRS use wifi/wired ethernet and have a web server interpret and serve the data. The plant's internet connection can become the address for monitoring.----------COULD YOU PLEASE THROW A BIT MORE LIGHT ON THIS? I will appreciate.

Last edited:
1. For OPC there should be no additional hardware required, but you'd have to have a server (PC) to communicate with the devices and run the ASP. OPC resources for .NET are here:
http://www.opcconnect.com/dotnet.php

2. The existing LAN should be able to make said ASP server communicate with the devices, as well as the outside world. You would have IT add a DNS entry for the server so it could be accessed. You would then of course want a login system, etc... We're talking about a full blown custom website here just to make sure we're on the same page. I'm not sure your company will look at that as a viable option either, but it's how it would be done properly.

I had a request for a black box that could be moved around construction sites and send data of piling tests (load cells).

My proposal was:
a fan-less industrial DIN rail PC
Ignition SCADA
Sierra Wireless 3g/GSM/GPRS

All running off lorry batteries 24V with battery monitoring to the DA PLC (CPX). Was control as well as DA.

Can't report results as it didn't go through - heard through the grape vine that the company had been asking various Integrators to look at this over the last 15 years.