integrated servo/drive suggestions

rpoet

All,
I'm looking for suggestions for an integrated servo/drive combo. Around 0.75kw size, and able to speak MODBUS TCP.

I found the Schneider Lexium ILA series, and they look quite nice, but unfortunately, they don't come large enough to meet my needs; they top out at ~0.35kw or so.

I also looked at the Schneider Lexium 32i motors, but they don't speak MODBUS TCP. (If you're listening Schneider, that would be a very nice option to have.)

The 32i motors might be OK, if I can translate from MODBUS to Ethernet/IP. Any experience using the Anybus-X gateways? It's another layer of commissioning and programming I'd rather not have, but I like the Lexium 32i motors enough to deal with it... I think. Are the Anybus gateways relatively easy and simple to use?

If anyone has suggestions for another vendor's product, I'm all ears. I'm certainly not wedded to Schneider, it's just the first product I've come across so far that almost meets my needs out of the box.

Thanks,

rpoet

The Automation Direct Sure Servo line should meet your needs. There is a bank of contiguous addresses accessible to Modbus commands into which you can map the servo parameters so the Modbus master can get whatever data you need with a single Modbus Read command.
The only 'gotcha' I encountered when I used one a few years ago was that you can't switch into or out of follower operation without cycling power. I don't know whether or not that is still the case.

The Automation Direct Sure Servo line should meet your needs. There is a bank of contiguous addresses accessible to Modbus commands into which you can map the servo parameters so the Modbus master can get whatever data you need with a single Modbus Read command.
The only 'gotcha' I encountered when I used one a few years ago was that you can't switch into or out of follower operation without cycling power. I don't know whether or not that is still the case.

Steve,
I looked at the AD Sure Servo line. I like them because the PLC I'm wedded to (existing) is from AD as well, and having one vendor makes this easier. I may yet go that route, but there are two issues with the Sure Servos; no Ethernet connectivity, and separate motor / drive topology.

This project will have (12) axes of motion, so I'd really like the option of Ethernet for ease of connection. There's also precious little room for a big drive cabinet, so I want to try to use an integrated motor/drive solution, if one exists.

The Ethernet issue is actually something that's really starting to bug me about AD. They have some really nice products, and I like their prices, but the lack of Ethernet connectivity in their products - especially drives and servos - is becoming rather glaring. They need to update their offerings with integrated Ethernet solutions. I'm getting tired of having little Ethernet "adapter" boxes sitting next to every AD drive I use.

I have the Schneider rep stopping by next week for a chat. I'll see what shakes out from that.

-rpoet

I usually stay away from the integrated motor/drive combos, but have used the Exlar Tritex II for an couple of linear applications. I used Modbus/TCP and it worked quite well. You can map the Modbus so that a single query can return a bunch of different parameters. They make a rotary version that should do what you want.

My company uses JVL integrated AC servos extensively. I installed 90 of the MAC800 series last winter; 240V single-phase supply (or 120V with the voltage doubler engaged), relatively straightforward software, available with absolute encoders and integrated motor brakes.

They're made in Denmark, but we have a good local distributor on the West Coast. The documentation in English is just as good as the documentation in Danish and German.

The Ethernet module is based on a Hilscher chipset and can be loaded with all the popular Ethernet protocols, including Modbus/TCP. My installations were done with EtherNet/IP, running both a ControlLogix cyclic I/O connection and frequent individual parameter messages. It also allows simultaneous connection to their MACTalk configuration software.

One feature I liked about the Ethernet module was that the default IP address is 192.168.0.x, where x= the last octet of the MAC ID. I bought all of mine in a batch so they were already unique when they arrives, so I just had to scan the 192.168.0.x network with Angry IP Scanner, and once my drives were commissioned onto the 192.168.1.x network, I knew that any newly-installed replacement module would not conflict.

These are standalone axes and it's not easy to co-ordinate them tightly, because the encoder-out channel that you would use to gear motors together is taken up by the network module. In my case the axes move together just because they are started at the same time and given the same trapezoidal motion command.

For systems where we need to co-ordinate multiple integrated servos in a true multi-axis system, we've used units from Bosch/Rexroth/Indramat. The IndraDrive Mi also supports safe-torque-off, and that was important for those systems. But multi-axis control will require a dedicated motion controller that in turn communicates Modbus to the master PLC.

My company uses JVL integrated AC servos extensively. I installed 90 of the MAC800 series last winter; 240V single-phase supply (or 120V with the voltage doubler engaged), relatively straightforward software, available with absolute encoders and integrated motor brakes.

They're made in Denmark, but we have a good local distributor on the West Coast. The documentation in English is just as good as the documentation in Danish and German.

The Ethernet module is based on a Hilscher chipset and can be loaded with all the popular Ethernet protocols, including Modbus/TCP. My installations were done with EtherNet/IP, running both a ControlLogix cyclic I/O connection and frequent individual parameter messages. It also allows simultaneous connection to their MACTalk configuration software.

One feature I liked about the Ethernet module was that the default IP address is 192.168.0.x, where x= the last octet of the MAC ID. I bought all of mine in a batch so they were already unique when they arrives, so I just had to scan the 192.168.0.x network with Angry IP Scanner, and once my drives were commissioned onto the 192.168.1.x network, I knew that any newly-installed replacement module would not conflict.

These are standalone axes and it's not easy to co-ordinate them tightly, because the encoder-out channel that you would use to gear motors together is taken up by the network module. In my case the axes move together just because they are started at the same time and given the same trapezoidal motion command.

For systems where we need to co-ordinate multiple integrated servos in a true multi-axis system, we've used units from Bosch/Rexroth/Indramat. The IndraDrive Mi also supports safe-torque-off, and that was important for those systems. But multi-axis control will require a dedicated motion controller that in turn communicates Modbus to the master PLC.

Ken,
Who's your JVL distributor in the 'States? Their offerings look very promising, but I'm having a little trouble finding a US distributor. Can I but direct from Europe?

My Schneider rep is stopping by on Friday. I think he's bringing a demo Lexium motor, so I I should have a chance to play with some new gear soon.

-rpoet

I'm going to guess he gets them from Northwest motion. At least that is where we get them from. Based out of Issaquah, WA.

You are correct; Patrick O'Connell at Northwest Motion has done an excellent job representing JVL in our area. I'm not sure how far their geographic scope goes, but I would be surprised if it includes New York.

Yeah, he spends a fair amount of time here at my company. Fantastic guy.

I know they have reps further east. We had a problem and NW Motion arranged a guy to help us out in Connecticut. I think it was these guys:

http://www.mncsales.com/

After reading this post & checking out their website I've set up a JVL demo early next month. Got a couple builds coming up I think these would be worth a shot on.

Our local rep is C&E sales for Indiana, Ohio, & Kentucky.