Rockwell License server issue - international

cjd1965

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi my company hosts our licenses on a server located in the USA where I am based. When in the office on the domain or travelling in the USA (VPN) I can get get a license

I am now in the UK and can connect on VPN and can also RDP onto the license server but my FTAM says it cannot see the server. We also have a UK local office with a fibre backbone to the US Office and I cannot get a license from their either

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi thanks for the reply
I have disabled all my NIC it turn and tried wired and wireless connections, all fail to connect to the license server

Thanks

Well you can "see" the server, so that is good. Things I think about:

Could the IP have changed? If so, did you use a host name or ip when configuring the license server. For whatever reason, if your server changed ips that could be what is causing your issue and could actually have nothing to do with you being in a different country.

Have you tried a simple OS reboot? You would be surprised at the quirky problems this solves. You also may want to reboot the licensing server if it is on windows.

From there we can check on some other things. You are already aware it may have been using the wrong network card, so this is a plus and one of the common causes.

If you cannot get it working, because of time it may be necessary to release one of the licenses and convert it to node-locked until your work is done and then troubleshoot the problem with the server.

Hi Thanks, I have rebooted many times.

The server name is hardcoded along with domain, and works when in the USA

On a VPN connection I can ping the server and can rdp to it over VPN.

I have a license dongle so am not 'stuck' but I am still trying to resolve my issue for future trips because my organization wants to pool licenses onto the FTAM server

Hi I can connect when in the USA no problem and my IT has confirmed they did a telnet session and ports 27000-27002 are open but the rest are closed. Because i can get a connection locally they have dismissed ports 27003-27009

When connected to the uk local office the IT group policy disables my firewall

1)
You say the server name and domain are hardcoded.. is it possible they have NAT in place, or routing rules that only allow routing by hostname?

Try removing the server address from your local PC's host file (or other method of hardcoding) and access the server via the fully qualified domain name.

2)
The article also mentions a random flexsvr.exe port, which can be fixed to a specific port.

Try using the log file to determine the flexsvr.exe port and make sure this is open.

If this fixes the problem, follow the steps in https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/184922 to hardcode a flexsvr.exe tcp port

Update

So the ports are 27000-27009

I found that if i prefix my 'servername' with 27001@ it forces the port to 27001 and it all works OK ....

[email protected]

Thanks for the input eveyone