Siemens 810 CNC/S5?

PLCRookie

Can someone refresh my memory on S5 programming? I have a Siemens 810 CNC that had the program lost due to being down for an extended period of time. Once the program was restored, the machine will not continue the cycle. Apparently the program was not current. I have narrowed the problem to a "marker" that is not being set. My problem is that I cannot remember the location of "markers" in the PLC Status field. Is this a DB, DW, FB, FW?. I can't remember the format to monitor these markers. Obviously I am not a Siemens guy.

I had this exact problem about 12 years ago with the same machine, when the operator "accidentally" erased the entire contents of the machine. It took me about 2 days to figure it out, my memory is just not that good anymore.

This is my former employer, I am just trying to help out.

And Yes, I am waiting on a hard copy.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Markers are the German terminology for flags, in S7 they don't even humour us any more and they're all called markers.

So to answer your question, if a marker is not being set, its a flag, a bit in a flag byte.

Thanks Peter.

Actually, I knew that part, although it does'nt make sense to me either.
What I can't remember is, are flags(in the 810 control)found under FB(function blocks), DB(Data Blocks), DW (Data words), QW (Output words) etc.
How would I monitor the status of a particular flag (under which category)?

I will hopefully have a copy of the entire program tomorrow. I may just have to make a visit to look at the entire thing.

o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O

Sorry, have never used an 810 CNC so can't really be too much help.

If flags are similar to S5 flags then they are seperate entity's to DW's and QW's.

FB's and DB's are blocks of code not words or bytes, I can't see it being that different from normal PLC's.

Need some help

My cnc 810 machine has also had the PLC memory wiped out from teh Siemans controller with no apparent back up file. Is there anyone here who has that PLC file? The machine is a dinosaur and the manufacturer doesn't even have it, but if you are running the current machine, the program is in there. Ahhh what a headache.... any help would be appreciated

Vartan

VARTAN,

My machine was a custom built beast. The PLC was actually controlling the majority of the machine. The CNC only did a few grinding profiles.
As far as the PLC part of the 810, you need a back-up copy of the program. The PLC program will be machine specific.
What Brand of machine do you have? What type of machine is it? LATHE, MILL, ..OTHER.

Post all info that you have, and I think you will have a better shot at success.

šŸ¤žšŸ»

To monitor and set / reset bits in S5... Afer launching Step5 go to "Project", "Set" and inder PLC go "Online". Press insert and at the main screen go to "Test" "Force Variables". If you are online it will be available. In the force variable screen you have to use the FW that contains the bit you want. I usually put the F bit like F0.0 first and then FW0 and shift right arrow to the KH and change it to KM to get bit format anf press insert. that will put you online. Hit the ESC and arrow around to the bit in the word, set it to 1 and press insert again.

progressing

Hi rookie,

thanks for your help. Basically, this is what im working with. We have a K.O. Lee brand Universal Tool and Cutter Grinder B6062 (http://www.kolee.com/tool.htm) type H with a Siemans Sinumerik 802 controller (http://www.automation.siemens.com/mc/mc-sol/en/d4274e9b-a3a9-414a-84bb-af44e43f745d/index.aspx) We just recently had a technician come in from Siemens to see what he could do for us, but unfortunately without a PLC backup program, there wasn't really much he could do. Its possible that our back up battery died on the system and cleared out the ram memory or it could have been due to the fact that there is a clear option as soon as you turn the machine on.

I was told by the technician that if we were able to get a hold of someone else using the same setup, then by uploading this PLC program (the brains) he could fix any minor issues there after.

SO im basically looking to see if anyone out there is currently using the set up we have and if theyd be so kind as to even email me the program. It would be a tremendous help and I would somehow see how we could repay you as well as, save what looks like a total loss.

Regards,

Vartan

Vartan,

That is the only thing that can help you now. I don't know how else to find this program. You might try to post this topic with the title "K.O. LEE GRINDER HELP? that way those who are skimming this site may have one and be able to help. I assume K.O. Lee is out of business? If not, they may be able to identify a customer by looking at service requests or spare parts sales info.
Good Luck.
:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

This may sound like a dumb question, but have you talked to K.O. Lee, they are in South Dakota and your part number seems to be still available. They should give you an electronic copy of the program. If you need someone to re-start the PLC, I am heading to Ivine, CA in the near future and could work something out with you. If you are in Irvine, TX a pair of Dallas tickets would get it done.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice thus far. We have contacted KO Lee and they dont seem to have any back up programs for the device due to the fact that the machine is 25+ years old. We had a gentleman come visit us from Siemans the company that produced the Sinumerik 810 Controller for the machine. He troubleshooted and noted that that without a backup program, writting a program from scratch is something that they just wouldnt do and the leadtime for a program like that would just be something that they wouldnt do.

He said if we acquired a back up program from someone who currently had the program, that he could tweak it and make it work for our system. But basically that i would have to find someone using this machine currently who wouldnt mind sending me the S5 PLC file ...it could even be send via the email and from there we could upload it to our system and have something to work with. Man what a mess, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
PLCRookie,
if you still have the problem, the access to the markers in the PLC-Status is via the MW or FW field (Depending whether the screens are in german or english language). In this field you scroll with Page Up resp. Page Down to the desired address.
you can only watch the flags, not edit them.
If a flag is not set you have to check the programm listing why it isn't set. Another possibility would be with the PG but for the 810 you need an adapter card in order to establish communication between PG and PLC.

Thanks to all who replied. I was able to recall the bit to set, and the machine has been running well since. Now they just have to remember to keep the battery changed..... WITHOUT TURNING THE MACHINE OFF!

šŸ™ƒ šŸ™ƒ šŸ™ƒ