Rockwell CCW and 5370 Controller issues

Kamputty

Hi all,

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Ok, so here is the deal.

I have a 1769-L33ER (5370) Controller with 31.x firmware loaded.
I can program it just fine using Studio 5000.
I'm connected to it using the USB port in front of the controller
I'll be using the Ethernet for communications

I want to connect a HMI Panelview 800-T4T using the USB port to the PLC

So I install the Connected Components Workbench v11.x

When I try to select the controller, which I do see on the communications paths (USB, same one as I use on the studio 5000), it just keeps saying "Failed to connect to device. Verify the connection is active and device is supported".

Okay, so I saw that there is a patch for the 5370 controllers and CCW, so I installed that. Same issues.

When I go to the controller "settings", and try to select the controller type, all it shows is "Micro800", I cannot locate "5370"...

The protocol I've selected is "Serial | Allen Bradley CIP"

Again, I want to use the USB port to connect the HMI, and I'll be using the Ethernet for the backend PLC software...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

~Kam

What is the firmware revision of the PanelView 800 terminal?...

In order to communicate with a 5370 L1 controller, the PanelView 800 terminal must be at firmware revision 3.011 or higher.

In order to communicate with a 5370 L2 or L3 controller, the PanelView 800 terminal must be at firmware revision 4.012 or higher.

Regards,
George

Hi George,

Thanks for the fast reply.

Currently, I do not have the Panelview connected. I'm using the CCW software to create a project and interact with the PLC...the project can "see" the USB communications path, but alas, when I select, I get the error I listed.

~Kam

Hi David,

I'm not programming the controller using CCW, for that I'm using Studio 5000.
What I'm doing is trying to create a HMI screen...for the 4" panelview...

next step for me is to change the connection path from USB to ethernet and see if that helps...

Not sure I completely understand but... why dont you use the Ethernet ports on both?

EDIT: All three for that matter, PC, HMI and L33er

okay, removed the USB path.

PLC IP = 192.168.1.10

My laptop = 192.168.1.100

both connected via a switch.

I can program and "see" the PLC 100% fine using the new ethernet path with Studio 5000.

When I run the CCW, I "see" the path, when I select the path, it says the same thing...

So, USB is removed. Same issue.

Thoughts?

~Kam

The USB port on the PLC is not meant for anything except programming the PLC. Use ethernet.

What IP address is set on the HMI?

How is your communication driver set up in CCW?

You must use Ethernet for communication between the PLC and HMI. The USB ports on both are for programming only.

The communication drivers for the HMI should be set in CCW as follows:

Protocol: Ethernet | Allen-Bradley CompactLogix
Controller Type: CompactLogix 5370
Address: 192.168.1.10,1,0

That is assuming your ip address of your PLC is 192.168.1.10. You must add the ,1,0 at the end of the address. Also, make sure the firmware the most current version available. I'm using currently using version 5.011.

Hi Jordan,

Okay, here is my setup for clarity.

PLC = 1769-L33ER
HMI = 2711R-T4T

PLC IP = 192.168.1.10
Computer IP = 192.168.1.50
HMI IP = NOT SETUP

My Computer and PLC are connected via Ethernet (USB works fine too).
I can program and "talk" to the PLC just fine using the Studio 5000.

Now I want to create my first HMI project, so I installed CCW.

Keep in mind, the PHYSICAL HMI is still not connected to anything.

When I run CCW, I "see" the communications paths to the PLC. When I select either the Ethernet or USB (both work fine in Studio 5000), I get the "invalid error"...

Again, I have NOT wired the HMI into anything, and looking at the tutorials, I would not need to when I'm creating the HMI project...

Thoughts?

~Kam

When I run CCW, I "see" the communications paths to the PLC. When I select either the Ethernet or USB (both work fine in Studio 5000), I get the "invalid error"...

This is the part I don't understand. You don't need to connect to the PLC to make your projects either.

I can't follow what you are attempting to do. You don't have to do ANYTHING to the PLC in CCW, other than setup the communications tab in the HMI configuration.

Last edited:
Thanks for the screen shot. My project looks just like that.

My IP is 192.168.1.10,1,0

Now the issue is with tags!

This is what I am doing regarding tags...

I have a TAG on the PLC called "RUNTIME_STATUS_EXTERNAL" that is "PUBLIC" "DINT".

I create a TAG on the HMI with the following --

Tag Name: RUNTIME_STATUS_EXTERNAL
Data Type: 32 bit int
Addess: RUNTIME_STATUS_EXTERNAL
Controller: PLC-1

I created a Numerical Display, with the "READ TAG = RUNTIME_STATUS_EXTERNAL", and the "Visibility Tag = RUNTIME_STATUS_EXTERNAL"

When I load the HMI, I get the following error on the HMI side...

"2: Data Access Error for Alias RUNTIME_STATUS_EXTERNAL, Controller PLC-1, Address RUNTIME_STATUS_EXTERNAL, Communications Flag i*"

Right now, everything is via Ethernet.

PLC = 192.168.1.10
HMI = 192.168.1.20
PC = 192.168.1.50

~Kam