Cimplicity - Adam 4572

sapoleon

Hi all,
I'm in a project now, where I neet to read 4 Shinko ASC that are connected in modbus RTU 485, to an Adam 4572 (Modbus RTU to Modbus TCP/IP).
Up to that point there is no problem, the Adam is respondig nice, and working OK against the 4 Shinko. I tested it with modpoll with good results.

So, the problem arrives when I connect it to Cimplicity 6.1. I need to read one point form the Shinko (40129) that is the PV, and write to another one that is the SP (40002).
The thing is that cimplicity does not see the points. I configured a port for Modbus TCP (MASTER_MBTCP10), and then the devices (HEATPIPE 1 .. 4) with model STAT_PLC and the ip@ 1 ..4 for every device.
The thing is that when I insert the points, it says that they are not valid....

If someone need more details, or if someone have any idea, I'll gladly appreciate it.

Thanks

I don't know how it is with ADAM4572, but the similar device I-7188EX MTCP has, by default, only 100 registers of each type 0X, 1X, 3X, 4X (for example 40001..40100). So, address 40129 is overrange. More ouver, usually PV is 3X, SP - 4X. Check it up carefully.

zovan, thanks, but the register is OK, like I allready said, I test it in other ways and works very good.

Now, I make it work (the reading part), I erase all, the port, the devices and the points, make a Cimplicity restart, started all again, made another Cimplicity restart (the people from the plant wherent too happy), and now it's all working.

But, I still can not write to the point. It seems that the Shinko can receive read or write request for only one point at the time, and I do not find the way to force limit this to cimplicity.

Does someone have an idea?

Cimplicity driver setup

Hi Please read this excerpt from the cimplicity device communications manual GFK-1181J . I had to follow this to talk to an adam unit. Apologies for layout but it is a cut and paste

Entering Model Information
Each device included in the project that will be using the alternate configuration must
have a STAT_PLC model.
If the STAT_PLC model is not a selectable from the device configuration screen, it can be added to the CIMPLICITY configuration by editing the IC646TME000.MODEL configuration file located in the BSM_DATA subdirectory of the original CIMPLICITY distribution. Using a text editor, add the following line to the file:

MB_TCPIP|STAT_PLC|35

GFK-1181J Modbus TCP/IP Communications 17-19

For existing projects, these additional steps define a process for adding the model:

1. Set default directory to the master sub-directory of the project.

Idtpop model

3. Using a text editor, add the following line to the file:

MB_TCPIP|STAT_PLC|35

4. Save and exit from the text editor.

Scpop model

6. Update the project.

Entering Required Configuration Data

For each device port in the project, a separate alternate configuration file must be
created. The alternate configuration file must be located in the data subdirectory for
each project.

For each alternate configuration file, the file name is based on the port configuration.

For the first port, the file name is MASTER_MBTCP0.INI. This file would contain any devices configured on the first port that use the alternative configuration. The MASTER_MBTCP1.INI would contain the alternate configuration information for devices configured on the second port. The same convention is followed for devices configured for use on the other Modbus Ethernet ports.

In the alternate configuration file, for each device using this scheme, the following information is required:

1. CIMPLICITY device name

2. Number of bytes used for each of the following memory references:

Coils (COILS)

Discrete Inputs (DISC INPUTS)

Input Registers (INPUT REG)

Holding Registers (HOLDING REG)

General Reference File 1 (GEN REF FILE1)

General Reference File 2 (GEN REF FILE2)

General Reference File 3 (GEN REF FILE3)

General Reference File 4 (GEN REF FILE4)

General Reference File 5 (GEN REF FILE5)

General Reference File 6 (GEN REF FILE6)

General Reference File 7 (GEN REF FILE7)

General Reference File 8 (GEN REF FILE8)

General Reference File 9 (GEN REF FILE9)

General Reference File 10 (GEN REF FILE10)

Double Precision Input Registers (DP_INPUT REG)

Double Precision Holding Registers (DP_HOLDING REG)

17-20 CIMPLICITY HMI Device Communications Manual–July 2001 GFK-1181J

For example, if there are 16384 coils on the device, the coil byte count in the

configuration file would be 2048 (8 coils per byte). Similarly, if there are 32767

holding registers on the device, the byte count of holding registers in the

configuration file would be 65534 (2 bytes per holding register).

Sample Alternate Configuration File

The sample configuration file in this section defines the domain configuration for two

devices, DEVICE1 and DEVICE2. Note that each Device ID appears as a section

heading inside square brackets.

Also notice the
UseTheseDomainSizes variable is set to 1. This variable must

appear in each device section. If this variable is set to 0, or if there is no section

heading for a device on this port, or if this
.ini file does not exist, the Modbus

TCP/IP devcom will auto-size the domains as it always has.

There are 16 domains in a Modbus TCP/IP device. In the example below, you will see each domain's name followed by the default size of that domain. If a domain name is not provided within a device section, the default size is assigned.

The format of the alternate configuration file is shown below:

[DEVICE1]

UseTheseDomainSizes=1

COILS=65535

DISC INPUTS=65535

INPUT REG.=65535

HOLDING REG.=65535

GEN REF FILE1=0

GEN REF FILE2=0

GEN REF FILE3=0

GEN REF FILE4=0

GEN REF FILE5=0

GEN REF FILE6=0

GEN REF FILE7=0

GEN REF FILE8=0

GEN REF FILE9=0

GEN REF FILE10=0

DP_INPUT REG.=0

DP_HOLDING REG.=0

[DEVICE2]

UseTheseDomainSizes=1

COILS=65535

DISC INPUTS=65535

INPUT REG.=65535

HOLDING REG.=65535

GEN REF FILE1=0

GEN REF FILE2=0

GEN REF FILE3=0

GEN REF FILE4=0

GEN REF FILE5=0

GEN REF FILE6=0

GEN REF FILE7=0

GEN REF FILE8=0

GEN REF FILE9=0

GEN REF FILE10=0

DP_INPUT REG.=0

DP_HOLDING REG.=0

thanks cjd, I had already created a STAT_PLC, and using it. It seems that the client won't use the write SP option, so I don't think I'll continue to the end of the mater...

Anyway, like I said, the reading is already OK.

Solved! Cimplicity's funtionality whas the cause!

Ok, after my last report that everythig was fine, I was happy.
Nontheless, one week later, I was again to finish this small project, and after making a restart to cimplicity, NO MORE READINGS.

Ok here's the thing, and it was not with the Adam module. The conversion from Modbus RTU to IP was fine. The shinko modules, (ACS 33 PID controllers) can commuincate Modbus but only one register at the time. They don't support multiple registers readings.

But it worked! why it stops when I restarted Cimplicity? Because Cimplicity, when making the points in dinamic mode (like I was because it's a BIG project running) tryies the communication to every point individually, but, when making a restart, It takes a device configuration that by default for Modbus tryies to read 512 registers, and because I was reading register 2 and 129 from the Shinko, Cimplicity wanted to read both in one read.

So how to make it read only 1 Integer at the time (2 registers)? Well, you will need another Cimplicity restart, and do the follow:

1. Open the tools, command prompt.
2. go to the master subdirectory of the running proyect.
3. Idtpop devcom_proc
4. notepad devcom_proc.idt
5. You will see the drivers list that you use, have a list of what is every parameter, in this case, it's easy to see because you have 3 parameters in the middle that writes 512. I had to change them from 512 to 2.
6. save the file
7. scpop devcom_proc
8. restart cimplicity!

And everything was ok from there on. Still, didn't check how to write to the device.