Would like to understand Rockwell's Viewpoint and how I can get my HMI on my Iphone

Cydog

Good Morning ,

I'm doing a few projects around the plant that are standalone because we do not have a plantwide network in place yet. For example , I'm using a
CompactLogix 1769=ER33 with a few HMI's ( Factorytalk ). I only seen one video on YouTube , that explains the process , but not alot of detail. My small mind says to plug a wireless router , and try to connect remotely from maybe my house or office , and configure Viewpoint like the video explains. I struggle understanding how the web browser works with this . Can you folks explain how you would do this. Can I use one copy of Viewpoint , like FactoryTalk View , and setup numerous connections to various users ?

Thanks so much like always ,

The wireless router is recommended. If the system has fairly new PVPs with Windows CE, they all come with VNC service. You have to activate it in the control panel/services app of the Windows CE. I think this is much better than the cumbersome viewpoint. Simply add a VNC viewer app to your phone and enter the IP address of the panel. Your phone will display the exact image of the panel. By default, the VNC service is View Only. In the server settings of the Windows CE (again in the control panel), this can be unchecked to give your phone complete access.

Thanks . I'm still going to be using the Panelview Plus 6's till I start rotating them out . I bought a Panelview Plus 1000 back last October for this project . Do you think this Panelview Plus Windows CE . I haven't looked at it recently .

Thanks

The new version of FT ViewPoint is actually quite good.

My last experience was using it around V6 or V7 and it had a few limitations, no alarm banners being the major one but this is all fixed now and works quite well with V10.

I would recommend using a VPN router like an e W O N Cosy, Secomea or ProSoft ICX35-HWC. Or you could set up your own VPN using something open source like OpenVPN.

Use this VPN to connect remotely to your control network, and after you have ViewPoint set up just type in the IP address of the HMI in your web browser. Or you could set up VNC on the HMI as mentioned if you want full control over the local display.