Magelis HMI's

John Morris

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good Morning to all

Has anyone heard of Magelis HMI's, or had any experience programming one?

Does it interface with Allen Bradley.

Is difficult or easy to integrate into an A/B system.

I would appreciate any opinions or related experiences.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

I'm standing in front of one right now (HMISTUS85) that I've just flashed and loaded a new application onto. It's connected to a 1769-L32E using Schneider's Native EtherNet/IP driver. Works fine any easy enough set up.

I did one a couple of weeks to a newer 1769-L16ER and that was easy enough to. I've also used them to some MicroLogix 1400 on Ethernet and 1000 on DF1 or DH485.

The drivers accept just about any data type you want.

Regards,
George

Thank you Geo

I have an existing FTV application. Will I have to start from scratch or can the FTV be adapted to work in the Magelis.

I really Like them, I find them easy to use for simple HMI Screens . I would not what to use them for recipe control, data logging or scripting, for that I would use VB.net.

They have drivers every Allen Bradley PLC I have ever needed (Micrologix 1500, 1100, 1400, SLC, Compactlogix and Contrologix), I am not sure about the New Micro 800 Stuff.

Thank you Geo

I have an existing FTV application. Will I have to start from scratch or can the FTV be adapted to work in the Magelis.

You start from scratch.
Different vendors HMI's are not generally compatible with each other.

If you have lots of detail, take screenshots of the existing one, and use them as a background on the new one to give some guidance and save having to redraw everything.

John Morris said:
...I have an existing FTV application. Will I have to start from scratch or can the FTV be adapted to work in the Magelis...

John,

Now that was a hopelessly "rookie" question! :p
Unless you scribble "Magelis" on the front of a PanelView? :ROFLMAO:

But joking aside...

You haven't mentioned if you have any Magelis hardware or software yet, or which AB controller you want to work with?

Vijeo Designer is used to create and download applications for the Magelis range, if you weren't aware yet.

If you already have the PLC program finished, and it's a Logix 5000 based controller, (CompactLogix, ControlLogix) then a useful feature in Vijeo Designer is variable linking. A variable is just what Vijeo refers to an address or tag as. I just used it again today and it saves you a ton of tedious variable work. You can save out a 5000 project as an *L5K file (instead of *.ACD) and then with variables open in Vijeo you select from the top Variables>Link Variables. You then browse to your *.L5K file and a list of available tags will be displayed. You tick all the ones you want and then it imports them into one variable folder named after the assigned driver name. It will import Controller-Scoped or Program-Scoped tags.

You can then design your graphics and the variables are ready to be assigned. It's a big time saver.

There is a way to do similar with RSLogix 500 projects, but it's somewhat convoluted and not as successful.

Regards,
George

Good Morning George

Of course its a hopelessly rookie question. 30 yrs as a degreed industrial tech/electrician. I have been around them my whole career, just never inside them.

This is what adding to your family at 50 will do to you. I had to expand my career, this was the next logical step. I don't know, but I think I'm catching on pretty fast.

I appreciate your feed back and the tips on the tags migration. When I get this unit and start designing, I would appreciate your continued support.

respectfully

John AKA

Wow

The Magelis is great for Data logging, easy to set up and use. Customer appreciated it. Graphics were easy to work with. It has a pretty decent library. Learning the tag migration was not suicidal.

To close out this thread, the units were shook down for three weeks. delivered, installed and commissioned last April.

Thanks to everyone at the Forum.

This helped alot ...................http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro