RSLinx and VMware.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
I'm trying to make the Allen Bradley software (RSLogix 5000 and 500)work on my XP virtual VMware machine.
The problem I'm facing now is that RSLinx is not recognizing my CompactLogix 1769-L33ER processor.
I can ping the PLC and also access its webpage, but in the RSWho window the PLC IP address under the AB-ETH-1 driver has the yellow question mark, plus the red X, and it says "Unrecognized Device".
I already registered the corresponding EDS file.
Any ideas?

Also, the USB driver (AB_VBP-1) is shown as running under "Configure Drivers", but it does not show in the RSWho window. I know there can be problems with this USB driver in VMware, but I don't know if anybody has made it work. It would be strategic to have this driver working to be used for the first firmware download.

Thank you!

Did you register the EDS file in the VMWare session? Can you right click on the ? device and Upload EDS?

Did you register the EDS file in the VMWare session?
Yes, I did it. I used the EDS tool.
Can you right click on the ? device and Upload EDS?
If I right click on the device, I don't get the option to upload the EDS. Remember I have the red "X". What's the difference between having the only the yellow "?" and having also the red "X"?

X means it was there at one time but now it can't see it.

? means it sees it but doesn't recognize the device (missing EDS).

What is the IP address of the device and What is the IP of your PC in VMWare? Oftentimes, VMWare does some funny stuff with IP addresses, depending on your VM Network settings.

Run CMD in your VMWare session and type IPConfig. For your LAN port, is it what you expect it to be?

What is the IP address of the device and What is the IP of your PC in VMWare? Oftentimes, VMWare does some funny stuff with IP addresses, depending on your VM Network settings.
Run CMD in your VMWare session and type IPConfig. For your LAN port, is it what you expect it to be?

I can ping the PLC from inside VMware.

I can ping the PLC from inside VMware.
Mmm...I just checked, and even when I can ping the PLC, the ipconfig shows that the virtual machine is in a different subnet than the PLC. Can this be the reason?

Under the virtual machine network settings, NAT is elected.

Good news!
I change the network setting to Bridged (unchecked "Replicated...") and modified the virtual machine IP address so it is in the same subnet as the PLC, and RSLinx recognizes the PLC now!

Thank you!

Good news!
I change the network setting to Bridged (unchecked "Replicated...") and modified the virtual machine IP address so it is in the same subnet as the PLC, and RSLinx recognizes the PLC now!

Thank you!

Yep...That's what I was getting at...Glad you got it

Good news; thanks for posting the update !

I run VMWare Workstation virtual machines and use the Bridged network type. Even though my host machine is has a DHCP address assigned by our enterprise network, the VM can still have "192.168.1.20" and communicate with the controllers on that subnet in our shop.