RSlogix500 branch/rung display bug

Tim James

I just installed a new version of RSLogix 500 Professional on a new machine and there is some kind of bug in the display of the branches that has become extremely aggravating. Basically every time I open or save an RSS all the rung branches that should be facing down, flip onto the topside of the rung pointing up. The logic instructions stay put and the logic flow is still intact, but it's annoying as heck to look at. If I go through a file or project verification it fixes all the branches that are visible on the screen, but all of the branches that aren't visible on the screen stay flipped up. Anyone else having this problem, and better yet does anyone have a solution? I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, no luck.

Here's a picture of what's happening.

BRANCH_ERROR.jpg

WOW, pretty strange.

Have you tried holding down the control and shift keys while starting RSLogix. Hold down until RSLogix completely starts. This will reset it to it's default conditions. Worth a try.

WOW, pretty strange.

Have you tried holding down the control and shift keys while starting RSLogix. Hold down until RSLogix completely starts. This will reset it to it's default conditions. Worth a try.

Never heard of that trick, but I gave it shot. Almost looked like it worked for a second, but as soon as I started a little editing and flipping between ladder files all the branch legs flipped up again.

That is similar (but not identical) to issues that were floating around Logix5K back in version 12(ish). As you scrolled through the rungs the locatins of instructions would occasionally shift around, especially is you did it quickly. It ended up being a video driver issue that they corrected somewhere along the line.

I don't think this helps you any other than there probably isn't a change you can make to get around it.

Keith

That is similar (but not identical) to issues that were floating around Logix5K back in version 12(ish). As you scrolled through the rungs the locatins of instructions would occasionally shift around, especially is you did it quickly. It ended up being a video driver issue that they corrected somewhere along the line.

I don't think this helps you any other than there probably isn't a change you can make to get around it.

Keith

Of course it could be your PC/laptop video drivers that need updating - obviously RA can't correct that for you....

Of course it could be your PC/laptop video drivers that need updating - obviously RA can't correct that for you....

I'm betting that's exactly what this is. While not the same as the OP's problem I had a very similar issue in a different piece of software that was fixed when I reinstalled my video drivers. Give it a shot!

I haven't seen that since the ISSC days. You got my half true fuzzy bit screenshot beat by a long shot...

WAG: weirdness with font type/size?

Last edited:

Finally got Rockwell to at least diagnose the issue and you were more or less correct. All they said was to try and holding CTRL+SHIFT while the program started (which I'd already tried) or if I was using two monitors to make sure I had the video resolution set the same on each display. Turns out it was the latter issue. When I'm programming I always use my laptop screen as my primary and my desktop monitor as my secondary display. Doesn't matter which screen my program window is on, the branch legs want to flip up. Setting the resolution of my secondary to match the resolution of my laptop screen may look really crappy, but it does fix the graphics bug that causes the branch legs to flip around. Unfortunately it also makes the secondary display more or less useless. I will try reloading/updating the graphic card drivers, but I feel like this is probably a graphics bug on the Logix500 end. Fun stuff. Might be time to get my company to just buy me another monitor that matches and to nix using my laptop display at all.