CMM311 how to configure it?

RavenShieldX

Hello,

I have a PLC 90-30 with CPU341 and 2 communication modules CMM311 (used in Courier 30XP from Outotec) these modules don't send data anymore (maybe someone erased something), so I'm trying to diagnose these CMM311 but I don't know how to configure them or how they work. I read GFK-0582D manual and uses COMMREQ blocks to start communication (I don't find any block in the programs attached) is that true?.

Could you please tell me which manual to read? How data is send through CMM311 or how can I configure it ?

I have attached 3 different programs used in the equipment for help (I used Proficy Machine Edition 5.9 to open those pograms).

Hello,

I have a PLC 90-30 with CPU341 and 2 communication modules CMM311 (used in Courier 30XP from Outotec) these modules don't send data anymore (maybe someone erased something), so I'm trying to diagnose these CMM311 but I don't know how to configure them or how they work. I read GFK-0582D manual and uses COMMREQ blocks to start communication (I don't find any block in the programs attached) is that true?.

Could you please tell me which manual to read? How data is send through CMM311 or how can I configure it ?

I have attached 3 different programs used in the equipment for help (I used Proficy Machine Edition 5.9 to open those pograms).

It's been a while, but as I recall, you don't need a COMMREQ in your logic unless your PLC program initiates communication with another device.

The protocol and serial port configurations may be set up via the hardware configuration. Port settings may also be dynamically configured via a COMMREQ, but will revert to the hardware configuration upon a power cycle.

Use the backup procedure in Proficy Machine Edition to make the backups. The zip files you posted look like a Logicmaster project.
If the serial port is set up as a slave (SNP, CCM or Modbus RTU) you don't need any COMMREQ instructions. You only need COMMREQ instructions when the port is a CCM or SNP master. The CMM311 does not support configuration as a Modbus RTU master.
What devices are connected to the CMM311 modules? An HMI will almost always be a serial communications master.

Thanks, I understand now that I don't need COMMREQ instructions (the zip files are Logicmaster project but I import them to Proficy).
1. DCS System800xA is communication with this PLC so DCS is a master and CMM311 is slave.
2. Which registers do I have to use to read/write to CMM311?

If the DCS is the serial communications master you will need to examine its project file to determine which addresses it is reading from and writing to. You can't determine those addresses by looking at the PLC's ladder logic. The only way would be if the person who wrote the ladder logic included some indication in the PLC variable names or in the rung comments.

If the DCS is the serial communications master you will need to examine its project file to determine which addresses it is reading from and writing to. You can't determine those addresses by looking at the PLC's ladder logic. The only way would be if the person who wrote the ladder logic included some indication in the PLC variable names or in the rung comments.

Also, maybe try interrogating the Master device configuration. The Master would have to have some type of data table, map, etc detailing what registers it is polling and where that data is going to/coming from. If the 90/30 is the slave its just sitting there waiting to be polled. Perhaps your issue isn't the PLC at all but the Master that has failed comms.

A quick troubleshooting tip: Take a look at the "US1" and "US2" LEDs on the CMM311 module. They correspond to the module's two serial ports and they blink to indicate data being exchanged. When a port is in use and communicating with the master you should see steady blinking. No blinking indicates no traffic, which means the master isn't even trying to communicate. A single blink every second or so indicates that the master is trying to communicate, but isn't getting any response from the slave. It can help you narrow down the possibilities of which device is at fault for the communication loss.

A quick troubleshooting tip: Take a look at the "US1" and "US2" LEDs on the CMM311 module. They correspond to the module's two serial ports and they blink to indicate data being exchanged. When a port is in use and communicating with the master you should see steady blinking. No blinking indicates no traffic, which means the master isn't even trying to communicate. A single blink every second or so indicates that the master is trying to communicate, but isn't getting any response from the slave. It can help you narrow down the possibilities of which device is at fault for the communication loss.

There is no blinking in US1 and US2, so i have to verify the Master.
But I don't understand how you send for example a memory register through port1? and maybe an input register through port2?. There must be a logic and registers used by CMM311? or am I wrong?

The CMM311 module runs an application that executes commands from the master device. The command from the master could be for the slave to read a value from a memory register in the PLC and report that value back to the master. The command could be to write a value to a memory register. The address of the memory register is included in the command.
The module can be configured for one of three protocols, SNP, CCM or Modbus RTU. The protocols define the syntax of the commands.
The two ports on the module are independent of each other. Both ports can be used simultaneously, although not at the maximum baud rate.
Neither LED blinking at all could mean that the master is no longer attempting to communicate. It could also mean the communications cable is damaged. It could mean that the port itself is damaged.

There is no blinking in US1 and US2, so i have to verify the Master.
But I don't understand how you send for example a memory register through port1? and maybe an input register through port2?. There must be a logic and registers used by CMM311? or am I wrong?

aside from confirming the Master, also check everything in between (fiber optic hubs, network switches, Modbus/TCP gateways, fiber, copper, etc).