FactoryTalkView SE 5.0 problems

curlyandshemp

Lifetime Supporting Member
anyone else have issues after installing the lastest version of FTVSE 5.0 ?

Two of us in our office have experienced the same problems after the install. Computer talks twice as long to boot, launching of MSN messenger times out, connection to internal network takes twice as long, sometimes up to 1 minute after log on.

I have installed latest patches from Rockwell website to no avail.

Even now my FTV ME takes twice as long to launch. Before the SE install, clicking on the FTV ME icon on my desktop, my apps were presented to me within 10 seconds, now I am presented with a blank screen informing me of a login for upto 1 minute.

me_logon.jpg

Our local Supplier Rockwell Tech guy was in our office today and is stumped

introl said:
Did you have to uninstall .NET Framework 2.0 before it allowed you to install FT software?

I had .NET 2.0 Service Pack 1. SE did not like this so I had to uninstall the 2.0 SP1, install .NET 2.0, continue with the intstall.

First time I rebooted, Windows update detected there was an update for .NET 2.0 and installed.After the install SE had no issue with the .NET 2.0 SP1, only during the install was SP1 an issue.

Also, Rockwell stuff (Logix, Studio) is used on my PC about 10% of the time, but FactoryTalk Diagnostics records the most events to the Windows Event file

why.jpg

Last edited:
You guys running many SE stations Kyle?

ghettofreeryder said:
Is this Microshaft update installed. Its murdering the RSView platform

Rockwell ID 51108
Windows Internet Explorer KB 947864

Yes, unforunately. That decision was made before my time. Well, depends what you mean by alot, we have 5. I havent ran FactoryTalkView yet, but in discussions with tech support and my own problems with RSView32 Active Display Clients(yes nathan, still swapping it out for you know who), it sounds like its a big problem for any View platform. Im not sure if its included with SP3, so id be weary of installing that too
**Edit** Sorry, no we are not running any SE projects, just some ME and 32, which are on their way out. I dabbed into some early SE when I was a contractor, and never wanted to put my brain through that kind of punishment again

Last edited:
ghettofreeryder said:
Is this Microshaft update installed. Its murdering the RSView platform

Rockwell ID 51108
Windows Internet Explorer KB 947864

Found it and uninstalled. Made no difference. Now WinDoze is bugging me about an update KB947864

Wasn't trying to instigate, just wondering.

That's right, MS just released XP SP3. We should start a thread on that one...

ghettofreeryder said:
Yes, unforunately. That decision was made before my time. Well, depends what you mean by alot, we have 5. I havent ran FactoryTalkView yet, but in discussions with tech support and my own problems with RSView32 Active Display Clients(yes nathan, still swapping it out for you know who), it sounds like its a big problem for any View platform. Im not sure if its included with SP3, so id be weary of installing that too
**Edit** Sorry, no we are not running any SE projects, just some ME and 32, which are on their way out. I dabbed into some early SE when I was a contractor, and never wanted to put my brain through that kind of punishment again

surferb said:
Wasn't trying to instigate, just wondering.

That's right, MS just released XP SP3. We should start a thread on that one...

I had my issue 2 days ago.
Installed SP3 last night. My issues still persist

We use Factory Talk View Machine Edition 5.0 and we haven't noticed any problems. All of us in my department run Windows XP SP2 (for now).

I really do strongly encourage users to consider problems or circumstances individually. A runtime problem with RSView32 ADS is very unlikely to be caused by the same thing as an installation problem or runtime problem with FactoryTalk View 5.0.

I recently ran into the Installation problem with FTView Studio 5.0 and the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP1.

The knowledgebase provided me with a full explanation and two workarounds: Article ID # 47042.

Ian's original post was specifically about slower FactoryTalk View performance and slower general network performance. That ought to be taken seriously and carefully investigated.

I haven't had the same problem with FTView Studio 5.0, but maybe I'm spoiled because our IT department generally checks for known conflicts between RSI packages and the patches they install.

Ken Roach said:
I really do strongly encourage users to consider problems or circumstances individually. A runtime problem with RSView32 ADS is very unlikely to be caused by the same thing as an installation problem or runtime problem with FactoryTalk View 5.0.

I recently ran into the Installation problem with FTView Studio 5.0 and the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP1.

The knowledgebase provided me with a full explanation and two workarounds: Article ID # 47042.

Ian's original post was specifically about slower FactoryTalk View performance and slower general network performance. That ought to be taken seriously and carefully investigated.

I haven't had the same problem with FTView Studio 5.0, but maybe I'm spoiled because our IT department generally checks for known conflicts between RSI packages and the patches they install.

As a followup, turns out the problems were being caused the lastest version on Norton Internet Security. I became frustrated by the number of services NIS was running so I uninstalled and used AVG instead. Delay issues were reduced to about 1 - 2 seconds with AVG running instead of NIS

Ok from now on when someone posts a software question, right after asking "what version are you using" should be "Are you using any Norton/Symantec products".

OG

I have had several problems with FTView SE 5.0. I updated to 5.0 by recomendations by rockwell to correct an alarming problem. The alarming problem is still there and I now have several issues.

1. After updating to 5.0, the entire boot process is slow. This happened on 2 Allen Bradley Versaview's. Rockwell has been no help so far.

2. If you use the alarm summery on a page, the rest of the grafixs get screwed up. This only happens if you size the window to runtime. You must set the pixel to the screen that it runs on. And if you do this you generally need to redraw the screens. When I notified rockwell, they ran my app and saw the problem and told me that there was nothing they could do right now and I would need to redraw the screens if I wanted an alarm banner on the screen. So I resized the 12 screens so we could run again. I am told that a fix is in the works.

Here is where I see the problem. Somewhere along the line it was decided that it would be a good idea to base a program on Internet Explorer. The SE screeens are lanched by IE, so when Microsoft updates anything, Rockwell must counter act. I would hate to see what happens if you start using IE7.

Rockwell will be in my plant Friday, maybe I can get better answers then.

One last thing, If you want to know what your Rockwell patch level is, don't go to the about file in FT View, That number will always show "0"

Why have a number there if it is not updated!?!

My two cents...