Factory Talk

bb1fit

We have several HMI's on site (FT). They respond extremely slow. Any thoughts on this? Looking at the diagnostic viewer, many errors that begin...Cannot interpret area RNA://$ Local.......How do you clear these? This was an upgraded system from an old GE. I know many pages were copied and duplicated. Thanks for any help.

The phrase "cannot interpret area" suggests a basic problem configuring FactoryTalk data servers.

But that alone isn't much information to go on. Certainly any software system with multiple mis-configuration or mis-addressing problems isn't going to give its best performance.

Is this a FactoryTalk View SE system, with servers and computers ? Or are you talking about PanelView Plus touchscreens running FactoryTalk View Machine Edition (ME) ?

What is "extremely slow", to you ? How do you evaluate the HMI speed ?

What kind of networks and controllers is the HMI system connected to ?

I had this error on one of my lines and ended up calling into Rockwell for support. The tech was extremely knowledgeable, but we weren't able to track down the problem because there were so many possible causes. I ended up finding it by eliminating objects on the screens until the problem went away, it ended up being a button addressed to an old SLC output card. The ME application didn't like that it was communicating to a CompactLogix, to an ethernet port, then a 1747-AENTR, then through a SLC backplane to a second chassis through one of those connector cables, and finally to a channel. Once I made an OTE on the CompactLogix that mirrored the state of the channel on the SLC IO (CompactLogix didn't have any issue reading it) and pointed the PanelVew BTTN at that address instead, the error went away.

And it was VERY slow when the error was happening, but the speed issues went away as well. Probably had something to do with trying to read that particular address over and over without success.

But definitely, give more info about your specific situation. If anyone can help, it's the people on this forum.

The phrase "cannot interpret area" suggests a basic problem configuring FactoryTalk data servers.

But that alone isn't much information to go on. Certainly any software system with multiple mis-configuration or mis-addressing problems isn't going to give its best performance.

Is this a FactoryTalk View SE system, with servers and computers ? Or are you talking about PanelView Plus touchscreens running FactoryTalk View Machine Edition (ME) ?

What is "extremely slow", to you ? How do you evaluate the HMI speed ?

What kind of networks and controllers is the HMI system connected to ?

This is Factory Talk SE, network local site units. Extremely slow is if you tap a pushbutton on the gloabal template to access another page, it may sit there and 'think' for anywhere up to 30, maybe 40 seconds before it changes pages. Looking in the app that created it, there are tons of errors, and I believe this is what is slowing it so badly. It is looking at lots of stuff. Their network is not the best here, but I believe I could speed up response time if I could clear a bunch of those errors out.

I had this error on one of my lines and ended up calling into Rockwell for support. The tech was extremely knowledgeable, but we weren't able to track down the problem because there were so many possible causes. I ended up finding it by eliminating objects on the screens until the problem went away, it ended up being a button addressed to an old SLC output card. The ME application didn't like that it was communicating to a CompactLogix, to an ethernet port, then a 1747-AENTR, then through a SLC backplane to a second chassis through one of those connector cables, and finally to a channel. Once I made an OTE on the CompactLogix that mirrored the state of the channel on the SLC IO (CompactLogix didn't have any issue reading it) and pointed the PanelVew BTTN at that address instead, the error went away.

And it was VERY slow when the error was happening, but the speed issues went away as well. Probably had something to do with trying to read that particular address over and over without success.

But definitely, give more info about your specific situation. If anyone can help, it's the people on this forum.

I believe your solution would be the same as ours to fix this....it is looking at multiple tags it seems that no longer exist from the old GE software. I am wondering why this would be....Thank you for your reply

Please find attached an 'example'...short list that keeps scrolling over and over, but more. All I could capture on a screenshot.