IO link and RSlogix 5000

Mikeve12

Hello everyone,

I am trying to connect an IO link module to an Allen Bradley PLC. I am very new to the software and am trying to figure out how to add the module to my IO configuration.

The module is a 3rd party IO module and the PLC that I am using is an Allen Bradley 1769-L32E CompactLogix5332E Controller. The software I am using to program is RSLogix 5000.

I figured out the steps of how to add a 3rd party module but I am unable to do so in the software that I am using. Is this because of the software version or because of the PLC?

Thank you for your attention and I hope you will be able to help me with this!

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Exactly what manufacturer and model of IOLink device are you using ?

A 1769-L32E controller will run v20 firmware (and RSLogix 5000) at the highest, so it's possible that your vendor has an "add on profile" or other feature that is only available with v21 and up.

The basic way to connect third party devices is as a "Generic Ethernet Module", which is a technique that goes back 8 years or more.

Your IOLink device vendor should have instructions for how to connect their device and configure it as a "Generic Ethernet Module" in the I/O tree of the CompactLogix controller.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Exactly what manufacturer and model of IOLink device are you using ?

A 1769-L32E controller will run v20 firmware (and RSLogix 5000) at the highest, so it's possible that your vendor has an "add on profile" or other feature that is only available with v21 and up.

The basic way to connect third party devices is as a "Generic Ethernet Module", which is a technique that goes back 8 years or more.

Your IOLink device vendor should have instructions for how to connect their device and configure it as a "Generic Ethernet Module" in the I/O tree of the CompactLogix controller.

Hi Ken,

It is an Impact67 E DIO12 DIO4/IOL4 4P by MurrElektronik.
They do not have a guide on how to install this module on Allen Bradley using EtherNet/IP.

Thank you

The software I'm using doesn't accept the EDS files, I have tried adding them through the RSlink software but it doesn't show up in the RSLogix 5000 software.

The software I'm using doesn't accept the EDS files, I have tried adding them through the RSlink software but it doesn't show up in the RSLogix 5000 software.

Be more specific on "the software I am using".

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm002_-en-d.pdf

You should be loading your EDS file from logix 5000 not linx. See section 5.1 in the murr manual, it outlines exactly what you need to do to install the EDS and add the AOP to your I/O config.

Last edited:
Be more specific on "the software I am using".

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm002_-en-d.pdf

You should be loading your EDS file from logix 5000 not linx. See section 5.1 in the murr manual, it outlines exactly what you need to do to install the EDS and add the AOP to your I/O config.

I found the module in the RSlink software, and I added the EDS files to the module, but when I open the RSLogix 5000 I can't find the module in the list of components.

Sorry for the late reply, I was off during the weekend

Mikeve12 , you need to tell use which version of logix 5000 - for instance the EDS installation tool is only available with v20 and greater . I am guessing that with the Compact L32E you may be using v17 or earlier ?

Mikeve12 , you need to tell use which version of logix 5000 - for instance the EDS installation tool is only available with v20 and greater . I am guessing that with the Compact L32E you may be using v17 or earlier ?

It is using v19.

Is there a way I can import the EDS differently or a way to define the module in the program itself?

Thank you

You have add a generic enet module to your I/O tree and fill in the data needed manually , I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this process but hope some of the real experts on this forum can help further.