Student here, with a paper due tomorrow

rsdoran

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am a newbie at this stuff. I need an exploratory essay written on "The City of Birmingham has for several years been contemplating whether or not to build a dome stadium and conference facility downtown. Would this be a wise expenditure of resources?".

BTW its due 8:00 AM tomorrow morning. I just need another 600 of the 750 words.

I can not believe it, the pyschology and history (with no book) have been a walk in the park but the languages, English (yes I know, its what I sometimes speak) and German are KICKIN MY ARSE.

wessen, werden, kennen...Welches datum ist heute? Wann hast du Geburtstag? ich, mich, dich, ihn, ihr.......arrrrgggghhhh. Can not leave out Es spaB ist acht Uhr zehn und es erste um Juli.

Anyone that's native language is Deutsch please forgive me. Verzeihen bitte.

Its a minor rant, my laptop puked and I "rented" a new one for now but do not have access to all my data, including my completed essays.

Going to school has been an enlightening experience to say the least.

Ron,
As for B'ham building a domed stadium well they have done alot worse and are still in bussiness LOL.
as for the german well I got a oven while I was in Saudi,And the powers that were in control did'nt think to get a set of prints in english.Well needless to say I have a friend who was german and he did'nt have a clue to what the words were on the print. The way it was explaned to me was that german eng's make the words up as they go more or less so it takes a eng. to know what they were.
I can't spell it right but, stopenfuer(that is close) is a E-STOP.
so good luck!
Regards,
Tom

Thats how German works. English (at least ours) has over a million words in the vocabulary, German (Deutsch) has around 80,000. They put words together to create words to express ideas.

In this case you are seeing the verb "fahren", which means to ride or drive (run but not jog type). They use things like abfahren to mean not run, not drive etc...stopenfuhr or something along those lines would mean "stop running" or "stop the drive"....it has alot to do with context, in this case a machine.

A good dictionary to give you word for word translation is http://www.dict.leo.com. Sometimes with Deutsch words you have to separated them..in this case take the stopen and fuhr to see what they translate too.

BTW its probably stoppenfuhr, stoppen means to halt, freeze, stop running and a multitude of other decease and desist type applications. I am use to Anschlag, or some variation thereof, for the estop.

Maybe some one that actually speaks the language will chime in.

Last edited:
rsdoran said:
I am a newbie at this stuff. I need an exploratory essay written on "The City of Birmingham has for several years been contemplating whether or not to build a dome stadium and conference facility downtown. Would this be a wise expenditure of resources?".

Okay, I'll give you a hand. But you will have to use translte at the bottom of the page for a German version, and cut and paste a few more paragraphs to get the full number of words.

No, no no, no, no, no no, no no, no, no, no, no, no no, no, no no, no, no! No, no no, no, no, no no, no no, no, no, no, no, no no, no, no no, no, no! No, no no, no, no, no no, no no, no, no, no, no, no no, no, no no, no, no! No, no no, no, no, no no, no no, no, no, no, no, no no, no, no no, no, no!

No, no no, no, no, no no, no no, no, no, no, no, no no, no, no no, no, no! No, no no, no, no, no no, no no, no, no, no, no, no no, no, no no, no, no! No, no no, no, no, no no, no no, no, no, no, no, no no, no, no no, no, no! No, no no, no, no, no no, no no, no, no, no, no, no no, no, no no, no, no!

I think that pretty well sums up my view on the topic. Please feel free to take full credit for it.

Have a nice holiday.....casey

My ol' man spoke German & well at that. Clamed he learned it in three years as a POW guard 60+ years ago. Problem is the only thing I picked up from him I cant say here...

darnit Casey that aint 600 words...how am I gonna get this done did?

Technically I am up to 308 words...geez can you imagine me out of words?

Last edited:
rsdoran said:
darnit Casey that aint 600 words...how am I gonna get this done did? Technically I am up to 308 words...geez can you imagine me out of words?

Like I said, cut and paste in a few more paragraphs.

On the other hand, a domed stadium could have many year round uses.

A few paragraphs on ndoor winter golfing, year round baseball, a whole page or two on how to flood and freeze the arena for "curling". We can get you quite a few teams from Canada to come down. The womens events are VERY popular in Canada on the sports channels, eh?

Locally, civic centers bring in huge piles of dirt for monster trucks, think of the noise that could echo in the thing with half a dozen of them running around in there.

Could even put a stairway up to the center of the roof for bunge jumping or hang glinding.

Outta time, gotta take some table scraps out and feed that stupid "Rock".

regards.....casey

twbtxnca said:
I can't spell it right but, stopenfuer(that is close) is a E-STOP
I always thought "Not-Aus" was "Emergency Stop"... o_O

I like www.logosdictionary.com for technical translations

As far as the domed stadium goes, I'd write about how the roof should be retractable and PLC controlled. Should be good for a few dozen more words... ;)

🍻

P.S. All hail Phil for the new smilies!... :geek:

Darnit I done gone an finished that there thang.

Anyone up to tutoring me in Deutsch? The verbs are killing me.

My wife is German, and you are welcome to call anytime if you get stuck with your homework. In fact, I'm working in Germany right now, and anyone who has decent German speaking skills can go right to the front of the line at the moment when it comes to job opportunities in the states.

rsdoran said:
Technically I am up to 308 words...geez can you imagine me out of words?

A domed stadium is going to require a whole lot of electrical and controls work. Perhaps you should expound on how much that will cost, what can go wrong, and who to blame if it gets screwed up.

That ought to give you PLENTY to talk about.

AK

"English (at least ours) " ?
careful where you go with THAT one RSD . I assume you mean "your" English to mean the English where those superfluous vowel thingy's are removed for simplicity ?

Re the German , I can speak half reasonable German , but as I explained to the "stewardess" on Lufthansa )forgive the lack of Umlauts where required , there is no way I am going to when my father was paid a shilling a day to shoot them .
As it seems the US is facing a hostile takeover , it might be prudent to learn a little Chinese - you might find it more useful .
TIC

Unregistered said:
As it seems the US is facing a hostile takeover , it might be prudent to learn a little Chinese - you might find it more useful .

I'm a little confused about that. Should I learn German, Japanieese, or Chineese? (I cant even spell them)...

My kid is taking French & Spanish. I told her to forget them & take the three above. She told me they arnt offerd. What a mistake....

Mike , the Chinese is out of the window - whilst I can partake a little in spoken chinese , I am afraid that I would never learn by choice - you can decide why for yourself