Crimson 3.1 Crashes Shell Application

CesarTamayo

Hello all,

In the last week, I start to work with a CR3000-1500 panel. After some time of work (few minutes or even hours) in the application, Crimson 3.1 (Gold Build 3113.000) crashes showing a window: Shell Application not Response. After that, Crimson 3.1 stops and close. At restart Crimson 3.1 and open the application shows the same error again.
At beginning, I think that was a problem with my PC (Windows 7 Pro 64-bit), then I installed the software in other PC (windows 10 Home), few hours again the same result.

The worst is that application is impossible to open again (I lost all my work 3 times) and I really desperate.

When I try to open the application on a third PC, Crimson shows a error with Microsoft Net Frameworks in the application and is not possible to open.

When I upload the application directly from the panel, the application opens fine, but inmediatly crashing again.

Any suggestion???

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
It is possible to end up with some corruption in your Crimson database file (even by no obvious fault of your own). I have done this to myself 2 or 3 times in ten years. There are also a couple of ways that I can repeatably cause Crimson to crash without corrupting the database.

My suggestions:
1. CTRL+S is your friend. Save As with a new name can be useful if you are doing something out of the ordinary and you want to store a fresh jumping off point that you can revert back to.

2. Open the "trouble" application. Open a new instance of Crimson. Copy the components from the "trouble" file to the fresh new file, avoiding any that you suspect being problematic. Repeat step 1 during this process. Note that you can drag and drop between two instances most objects, but things like comms settings may have to be set manually.

More than once I have bailed myself out of trouble using suggestion 2, and it is pretty quick to get that done. Once you have the new file created, save it, then rebuild manually the items that were skipped as suspicious.

Things that can crash Crimson: Smart duplicate. It seems to get worse and worse with each new release. I have gotten to the point where I don't use it any more. Sometimes smart duplicate will increment the address of the source tag and not create a new tag. You won't see that until you click away from it and then back. That's right, the tag you are making a duplicate of gets fubarred and you might not even notice until you change the view and then go back and look. One time I did this to about 30 different tags and then dumped it into a running HMI and all my numbers were whacked (they were pointing to the wrong PLC addresses!).

When this happens, and if I keep chugging along, I will notice that the UI will start to hiccup occasionally (hesitate) from that point forward. When I see that start to happen, I stop and save my work, close Crimson and re-open it. This glitch has existed since early versions of Crimson 3.0. If I shut 'er down early into this hesitation state, I can usually avoid a crash. I have also seen Crimson hang for as long as 10 minutes and then recover long enough for me to save my work, then kill it and restart it.

I usually have three or four other things to work on and occupy me for at least long enough to give it a chance to unjam itself.

Deleting multiple tags all at once. If I am deleting a folder full of tags, I will CTRL+S first, or open the folder and select a few at a time several times. I see this when I am deleting more than five or six tags at a time. Why would a person need to delete that many tags? I often start from a working application that has most of all of the bells and whistles I need, then go back and blow away stuff that doesn't apply to the new program I am working on.

I know there are other things that have caused crashes, but none come to mind at this late hour. If I think of them, I will revisit this thread.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for all replies.

I begin a new application, I noticed problems with widgets. Sometimes all the objects in the screen disapear, after that, the problem again. I think that is a similar failure as the smart duplicate.

Actually, I do not use widgets and just put legacy primitives.

The problem has disapear.