Wireless IO

HoldenC

Im looking for a way to be able to start a pump that is about 1/4 of a mile away from our facility.

We used to have a PlantLinc 580 set up here to start some other pumps thats not in use anymore. However, Im not sure how complicated it would be to get that back up and running.

Is there some way to set this up over a point to point wireless bridge ? I would just need to 3 inputs and 2 outputs.

Any suggestions ?

ControlLogix system.

I’m assuming that the three inputs and two outputs are discrete and if so then the PLR580’s should be ready to use. This is also assuming that the PLR580’s are in a point to point mode (one master, one remote). In that configuration all of the master’s discrete inputs map to the remote’s outputs (one to one) and vise versa.
The other option would be to use Data-Linc’s CIX6435/CIX6430 wireless I/O system. The CIX6435 is a protocol master meaning that you message to it as if it were a MicroLogix 1100 and the CIX6430 is the I/O remote. Reading N10:0 from the master gives you the discrete inputs from the remote (bits 0 thru 7 are channels 1 thru 8) and writing to N10:5 controls the discrete outputs of the remote (again, bits 0 thru 7 are channels 1 thru 8).
If you distance is only ¼ mile and line of sight is clear then you could use the PLR6435/PLC6430’s instead. Same I/O functionality but with a lower power/range radio.
It’s been awhile since I’ve worked with the CIX units but they work very well and are simple to use.