Moxa Ethernet Switches

What are the errors that a managed switch would typically report?

There's lots depending on what brand/model.

The ones I've used would report stuff like: link down, ring fault, voltage and alarms, temperature and alarms, if fed with redundant power it would tell you if one feed is down. I also get statistics and configured speeds. And tons of other stuff we wouldn't typically use in my setting (heat & power industry).

Thanks for the response. I think for this particular application I would have a hard time justifying those features for the dollar premium.

I have installed managed switches in some places only for the "cable check" feature, where the switch can tell you if a link is up/down, if there are any cable defects (short, open) and if so at what approximate distance from the switch the defect is located. Remarkably accurate. I can check this remotely through a VPN connection into the factory, so can basically troubleshoot a faulty network cable on another continent.

That's a pretty handy feature. The Moxa managed looks like it has a Rockwell AOI so it may be fairly simple to obtain some similar information.

It is indeed, other useful features are storm control and loop prevention. There are a few things to keep in mind when going from unmanaged to managed switches.

They come set up from the factory with the same IP address. An unmanaged switch is as simple as connect power, plug in cables and be done. But you never want the same IP address twice on the same network. So before installation (!), each managed switch needs to be set up with its' own unique IP address and the settings you need, especially if you have a network with more than one switch. Do not use DHCP for setting the switch IP addresses.

Label each switch with it's IP address. Document the network layout, IP addresses, configuration details and username/password for the configuration interface of each switch. When you log in remotely three years later and find a fault in the cable on port 9 of the 5th switch, where is this cable going to? Therefore you should also document which device connects to which port on the switch. Without that information the cable diagnostics feature is not nearly as useful.