Little HMI for Control Logix

cardosocea

Hello Gents,

I'm looking for a cheap solution to have a little HMI display connected to a Control Logix PLC through Ethernet.
The HMI is for a remote offloading station and there is little to display or control as the hardwired controls are already in place. The display would be mostly to indicate if the offload pumps were inhibited or not and which alarms that affected the pumps were active.
A simple text display would be enough for this really.

My problem is that Rockwell discontinued their mini displays or will during this year (this is for an external application) and the HMI's available that are tiny seem to be "locked" into Compactlogix or the Micro800 series.

Any advice on brands that would do such a device?

I've switched to using the C-More's from Automation Direct for most of my smaller things. Very easy to duplicate, and enhance, an older PanelView or PV+, and inexpensive.

No personal experience with Red Lion but they are highly regarded/recommended on this forum...

Not sure about mainland RL distirbutor's (edit: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/auto...ouch-screen-hmi-displays/?searchTerm=red lion ), know there's one here in Belfast (Ashdale Engineering)...

the only "UK" distributor for AD is:

United Kingdom, Ireland

Company:
Address:
LaMonde Automation Ltd.
The Officers' Mess
Coldstream Road
Caterham
Surrey
CR3 5QX
United Kingdom

For portable monitoring of a plating line with a Contrologix I put AdvancedHMI on a Windows tablet, then added a WiFi router to the panel. It's touchscreen and was less than $100.

I use it for calibrating the outputs and readouts of 36 electroplating power supplies.

Hi,

+1 for a Weintek option. The 4.3" (with Ethernet) is only £180 list and the 7" goes at around £200 (the 10" is under £500 too!). Built in email server for alarms, Remote access (once activated) which allows pass-through, so you could then go online with the CLX PLC. Free software as mentioned that actually has a lot of time saving features that other vendors just don't include yet!

Regards,

Rob

For portable monitoring of a plating line with a Contrologix I put AdvancedHMI on a Windows tablet, then added a WiFi router to the panel. It's touchscreen and was less than $100.

I hadn't thought about that possibility... I would have to add the Wireless access point and so on, but could potentially be quite cheap.

Hi,

+1 for a Weintek option. The 4.3" (with Ethernet) is only £180 list and the 7" goes at around £200 (the 10" is under £500 too!). Built in email server for alarms, Remote access (once activated) which allows pass-through, so you could then go online with the CLX PLC. Free software as mentioned that actually has a lot of time saving features that other vendors just don't include yet!

Regards,

Rob

The weintek modules seem good enough, but I can't find a distributor in the UK from their website. Do you know where these can be purchased from?

I hadn't thought about that possibility... I would have to add the Wireless access point and so on, but could potentially be quite cheap.

there exist also micro usb to RJ45 ethernet network adapters, then theorically it can work without Wireless, and it can get the power through Power over Ethernet ... but I also have to say that I've never tried it

Last edited:
Maple Systems 5097DXL dual ethernet.

Little complex programming but features are awesome.

If you are planning simply ON/OFF feature, go for Automationdirect

If you are planning serious programming graph, trend, email, script macros, dual ethernet, remote montioring from home, cellphones, computers.
Maple Systems 5097DXL (I have programmed 5 of them)

I wouldn't even pause before ordering a C1000 terminal from Red Lion. It's their current line of low-feature terminals.

Crimson 3 software is free, and once you get the basic hang of it very easy to use and powerful.

If Routeco happens to be your Rockwell Automation distributor, they also sell Red Lion.

I used a bunch of the older G304 Kadets on a small product line and have switched to the C1000 after the older ones were discontinued.

3mm bezel aluminum Industrial touch monitor
Adopt industrial control HD LCD screen +LED backlight screen,highlight picture,perfect color. Compatible with various industrial systems/application. Support without touch,resistive touch,capacitive touch,IR touch. Whole system is equipped with WI-FI module,more convennient.